I have a player for local music files, internet radio, and podcasts with downloading and streaming (including resuming from the last played location per item), but I haven't yet figured out what I want to do with it or what the interest is, so it's a low-low prio.
Edited by coffeecat on 04-10-2026 18:48,
7 days agoIs MUI5 really a *must*, though? AROS already has Zune, so I’d turn the question around: what is missing in *Zune*, and which applications or features would MUI5 actually unlock?
For FolioPDF and Boxer, the DOSBox emulation frontend, I’ve already extended existing classes and created new ones. That makes me want to identify concrete gaps and see how we can address them. Since I can only speak for myself, I will propose the new classes for review and consideration.
MUI is impressive and genius in the Amiga world, but in 2026, frameworks like Qt/QML and SwiftUI offer concepts worth considering, including declarative composition and state-driven interfaces. We don’t need to copy them; we just need to learn from them.
What AROS definitely needs is one coherent, modern, stable GUI framework, with the compatibility its applications require. MUI5 could achieve that, but admiration for MUI alone doesn’t make it the only - or best - way forward.
That's my personal opinion. Personally I will continue working on Zune for all the projects for AROS.
Edited by coffeecat on 05-10-2026 02:48,
7 days ago
AMIGASYSTEMDistro MaintainerPosted
7 days agocoffeecat, I agree with everything you wrote; AROS needs to be innovative, not just a copy of other operating systems.
As for your applications, if you’re okay with it, I’ll include them all in the new version of AROS One—I’ve even created icons in the AROS One style.
I like Boxer’s interface, and it’s great software for anyone who loves old MS-DOS games.
As for your player for local music files, internet radio, and podcasts, keep it in mind—it’s one of the most popular programs among users who like to listen to music while they work.
You do not have access to view attachments
ArgoMemberPosted
7 days agoYup, Want MUI5 features, then update Zune
Want a feature that neither has, Submit that feature to Zune
AmigaOS has Intuition, Reaction, MUI
Other OSs have how many, I've lost count
I like keeping it simple
AMIGASYSTEMDistro MaintainerPosted
6 days ago You do not have access to view attachments
Just a heads up: distribute Boxer only with a foreword that it's not the final release and likely has many bugs. Those will be fixed in the upcoming releases
Edited by coffeecat on 05-10-2026 09:34,
6 days agoCould you run apkg update and try installing Folio again?
If it still fails, please send me:
- the output of apkg --version;
- the output of apkg show folio;
- the full installation error, including the checksum.
The archive currently on GitHub matches my catalog. These details will help me check whether you have an older catalog or the downloaded file differs.
Edited by coffeecat on 05-10-2026 13:00,
6 days agocybergraphics.library: satisfied (already open, version 51) installed: noNotes from the package Native Raspberry Pi build; not validated on hosted Macaros. This 0.4.1 binary has not been runtime-tested. See BUILD-REPORT.md. Launch from the Folio icon, which sets an 8 MiB stack. Shell: Stack 8388608. Opening external web links requires openurl.library.8.Piaros:>
10.Piaros:> apkg --root RAM:Foliotest updateUpdating the package catalogueUpdated the package catalogue: 2 packages for this system 151 more are for other systems (apkg --all-abi search)10.Piaros:> apkg --root RAM:Foliotest install folioInstalling folio 0.4.1-aros1Downloading 10% 2828 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 20% 5644 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 30% 8460 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 40% 11276 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 50% 14092 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 60% 16908 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 70% 19724 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 80% 22540 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 90% 25356 KiB / 28172 KiBDownloading 100% 28172 KiB / 28172 KiBVerifying archiveInstalling filesInstalled folio 0.4.1-aros1 Location: RAM:Foliotest/folio Open folder: apkg --root "RAM:Foliotest" open folioNotes from the package Native Raspberry Pi build; not validated on hosted Macaros. This 0.4.1 binary has not been runtime-tested. See BUILD-REPORT.md. Launch from the Folio icon, which sets an 8 MiB stack. Shell: Stack 8388608. Opening external web links requires openurl.library.10.Piaros:>
Unfortunately, my card's fat has gone bad. I won't be able to test anything else today.