Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Icaros Desktop 2.0 caveats and work-arounds

Last updated on 9 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
The native SATA/AHCI driver doesn't always work. If you get errors related to ahci.device, try disabling it. Press E when your chosen boot entry is highlighted in the GRUB menu, scroll down to the ahci.device entry, and delete it with Ctrl-K. Then press Ctrl-X to boot. If your disk isn't accessible at all with this change, you might need to change the SATA controller to IDE legacy mode in the BIOS: however, making this change will likely cause problems booting Windows on the same machine (if it's already installed). To disable ahci.device permanently, edit the text file "SYS:Arch/pc/grub/grub/cfg", and remove the ahci.device line from all boot entries you intend to use.

The ATA driver doesn't always work. If you get errors related to ata.device, try using the alternative, older version provided: Press E when your chosen boot entry is highlighted in the GRUB menu, scroll down to the ata.device entry, and change it to read "module /Devs/Alt/ata.device". Then press Ctrl-X to boot. To make this change permanent, edit the text file "SYS:Arch/pc/grub/grub/cfg", and change the path to ata.device in all boot entries you intend to use.

The NTFS filesystem driver doesn't always work. In some cases, ntfs-handler locks up during boot if you have NTFS (i.e. "Windows"Wink partitions on your PC. To disable ntfs-handler, move it from "L:" to "SYS:Storage".

AROS won't boot when some themes are selected. Avoid choosing the os3.1 or mason themes. If you want a similar appearance to the os3.1 theme, move "CGrinecoration" to "SYS:Storage". If you've already selected a broken theme, you can recover the situation as follows:

Boot from your installation media.
Move "AROS:C/Decoration" as described above.
Reboot from your HD, and select a working theme.
Restore "Decoration" to its original location ("C:"Wink.

The "noacpi" boot option cause all PCI devices to be invisible to AROS. Although disk drives may still work, network, sound etc. drivers won't.

Changing video resolution may cause a crash, especially when using the Intel GMA driver. I'm not sure if the new resolution will still be saved for the next boot. If not, you can work around the problem by temporarily switching to Wanderer in Icaros preferences.

Some VirtualBox settings are incompatible with AROS. Do not select ICH9 or ICH6 chipsets, nor SATA drives. Only use AC97 audio.

by ncafferkey
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

AROS won't boot when some themes are selected. Avoid choosing the os3.1 or mason themes. If you want a similar appearance to the os3.1 theme, move "CGrinecoration" to "SYS:Storage". If you've already selected a broken theme, you can recover the situation as follows:

Boot from your installation media.
Move "AROS:C/Decoration" as described above.
Reboot from your HD, and select a working theme.
Restore "Decoration" to its original location ("C:"Wink.

Hi all! Should this have been resolved in the latest Icaors 2.0.1 version? I installed 2.0 and then did a full upgrade to 2.0.1 but changing to one of the problematic themes still causes the boot to stop.
Edited by amigamia on 08-01-2015 16:50, 9 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
afaik and unfortunately, no.

To my knowledge, theming exist of a couple of variables that are required to make a theme work. In the new on-trunk (that became mainstream) some additional variables are needed and which most (old existing) themes does not contain, ergo they fail. So, this can only be solved by these 'old' themes being upgraded/updated (and which currently isn't done (yet) ).

At least this is how i understood, but i might be a bit off here and there.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
OK so maybe a list should be provided of the bad ones? This way users don't run into this endless loop?

I tried the steps described above but that has other problems on its own, which made me think more. The instructions say "Move" C:Decoration to SYS:Decoration. Well, to start there is no move command in the C directory and I could only find copy. Why isn't move a command in there in the first place?

Since copy was the closest to moving anything, I tried that but SYS:Storage is located on the DVD as opposed to the actual Hard Drive with the screwed up theme settings. The local HDD gets AROS: as an assignment. So the best I could do was:

cd AROS:
copy C:Decoration AROS:Storage
delete C:Decoration
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
That worked by the way. Just in case someone else has the same issue, this may save them a few seconds. Thanks ncafferkey for the instructions.

On the other note, why is move really not a command in AROS? I thought by now it should be there. Have I missed it??
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

On the other note, why is move really not a command in AROS? I thought by now it should be there. Have I missed it??

Well ... depending on how you look at things, you missed it ;-p

Of course our beloved Amiga OS (and successors like AROS) does not need a move command, as it is part of the copy command ;)

One word of warning though: i haven't testdriven the move option with the copy command yet with abi-v0-on-trunk becoming mainstream. It failed miserably before on abi-v0 (and could seriously screw up your hd/partition).

Alternatively you could open sh (linux shell) and use the mv command.

Also alternatively: fire up directory opus (any which version) and move the files using the move button. I am not aware of a move functionality in Wanderer or Scalos (but that might be because i haven't looked for it intensively).

just to make sure: i would advice AGAINST moving files at all as it ended for me (and other AROS users) in a screwed up file-system. Just a copy-delete does the trick as well (and as you have shown).
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
Ah cool! I didn't know I could use linux shell sh in AROS. I am going to play with it when I have some time.

Don't you think it is a bit degrading and bad that a simple command as move screws up the file system (Especially for someone new to AROS)? I find it somewhat absurd. Hopefully, sh will work better than these legacy/obsolete amiga commands.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
First an answer to an earlier question:

Hi all! Should this have been resolved in the latest Icaros 2.0.1 version? I installed 2.0 and then did a full upgrade to 2.0.1 but changing to one of the problematic themes still causes the boot to stop.

Yes, this theming issue is resolved in icaros 2.0.1.

Because you first installed 2.0 the themes were installed. Then you updated to 2.01, which oddly enough did not remove these themes, so the problem stays. Doing a fresh 2.0.1 installation would 'solve' that problem.

For some reason the updater seems to be only capable of adding and/or replacing files, and not removing them. Which in this particular case, wouldn't solve the problem.

For more information on the theme fixes, see this page from paolone.

Ah cool! I didn't know I could use linux shell sh in AROS.

tbh, i don't know if sh is available on the icaros light version, but it's for sure present on the full dvd version (might perhaps require you to install the development package)

Don't you think it is a bit degrading and bad that a simple command as move screws up the file system (Especially for someone new to AROS)?

Yes, i totally agree on that one. But... it might very well be that this 'problem' is solved with abi-v0-on-trunk.

Since i'm of the conservative type, i simply do not like to get burned again on that one ;)

Hopefully, sh will work better than these legacy/obsolete amiga commands.

It should, but then again, i am also not a big fan of linux shells. In that regards i find the amiga shell much more refreshing and understandable, especially for newcomers (if only for showing the template command, and being able to provide options wherever the user wants them to be (minus the /M or /F arguments) ).

Of course, the opposite might be true for users coming from or having experience with linux shells. At least we have a choice (and luckily none of them is ms-dos shell) :D
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 2
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]