Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Icaros 2.0 is too buggy for my taste

Last updated on 9 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
fwiw cavemann is spot on there.

I am aware things can be very frustrating, especially for newcomers (it is also for me for that matter), trying to figure out what workaround to use for particular hardware.

The 'problem' is that even when things move forward regarding aros, it also introduces more possible solutions. and that list seems to grow, so that as a newbie you can't just get away with simply try one or two of those solutions and hope for the best (my guess is that in the past many people got away with just pure luck on their side).

More possible solutions, means more possible combinations. Since i'm toying with emulated windows lately, i've been reminded of how this was also very true for win9x, and as a result also left users frustrated.

If you have the time and patience for it amigamia, then it is definitely worth the effort.

if things go wrong for me on a plain boot, then my approach is to turn everything off (BIOS, USB, NODMA, NOAHCI, etc.) and start with what many would call a crippled AROS. If that fails, then it is time to call in the experts :).

My main objective is always to be able to start the cd-rom/dvd and as such being able to install Aros/icaros (it never really failed me yet. Some issues regarding newer machines are present though). And from that i try to build up again, preferably with each and every individual option tested, to be able to tell what is the culprit for that specific machine.

In the hope it's useful
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

cavemann wrote:

I've had some difficult hardware too. If there is a bios setting for 'plugNplay Os', make sure it is set to 'no'. Also if possible set the bios to Ide compatibility or legacy mode.

Remove any unneeded Usb items before booting. When the grub menu appears, try a Vesa boot, and edit your choice to read ata=nodma. You might also edit the ata.device, to /Devs/Alt/ata.device. And remove the ahci.device, if needed too.

If any of these edits get you booted. You can change grub to make them a part of your regular start-up.

I've managed to get recent Aros versions to boot on all my machines. But some I do not use because of constant Sfs drive errors. So not just frustrating for a new user.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks Cavemann, I will keep these things in mind when I try this week end.
Edited by amigamia on 20-01-2015 16:02, 9 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium, BSzili, xboxown, paolone
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]