Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Tracing responsivenes problem

Last updated on 7 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Hi

Here are my observations: Basically any link I enter on AROS World takes above a second to load. This might not seem much, but it is a noticeable "stall". Here is what I discovered so far, see screen shots, first is from AROS World, second from Amigaworld.

1) Almost always there is a section of establishing connection and agreeing on TSL on AROS World while on Amigaworld this happens with lesser frequency. This adds ~400 ms to each request. I checked connection keep alive and AROS World sets it to 2 seconds, while Amigaworld to 5 seconds, so a extension of timeout is a possible solution.

2) Look at download time (green bar) and download size ("Przesłano"Wink. Amigaworld is using gzip compression which makes the size 5 tiles smaller, which definitely helps, but the comparison of download times is also showing problem 300ms for AROS World and 9 ms for Amigaworld. Maybe there is some outbound throttling on your hosting provider?

I'd also like to see other people measure these requests to check if this is not some issue on my end.

It looks like this 500ms difference is what I perceive as responsive vs stall. Wink
deadwood attached the following image:
amigaworld.png arosworld.png
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - Hi

Here are my observations: Basically any link I enter on AROS World takes above a second to load. This might not seem much, but it is a noticeable "stall". Here is what I discovered so far, see screen shots, first is from AROS World, second from Amigaworld.

1) Almost always there is a section of establishing connection and agreeing on TSL on AROS World while on Amigaworld this happens with lesser frequency. This adds ~400 ms to each request. I checked connection keep alive and AROS World sets it to 2 seconds, while Amigaworld to 5 seconds, so a extension of timeout is a possible solution.

2) Look at download time (green bar) and download size ("Przesłano"Wink. Amigaworld is using gzip compression which makes the size 5 tiles smaller, which definitely helps, but the comparison of download times is also showing problem 300ms for AROS World and 9 ms for Amigaworld. Maybe there is some outbound throttling on your hosting provider?

I'd also like to see other people measure these requests to check if this is not some issue on my end.

It looks like this 500ms difference is what I perceive as responsive vs stall. Wink

This site is way underutilized so I never noticed any slowdown enough to make me measure things up with developer mode or fiddler. At the surface level I do not see the problem from my end at least but perhaps it has to do with location of the servers? Perhaps hosting being in the US and you are located outside of continental US?

Can you do the same comparison but with https://ae.arosworld.org ? This should tell you if it is a hosting issue or a CMS problem. AE sits in a separate database/folder structure. Totally unrelated with the exception of the hosting service, domain and SSL cert.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
AROS World Exec "behave" better. There is still initial connection, but the downloading part is essentially gone, see screen shot. It also compresses using gzip (like amigaworld, unlike AROS World). Maybe enabling the compression on AROS World would improve the situation?
deadwood attached the following image:
arosworldexec.png
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
I can't say I share the same view of performance from my end. See attached screenshots. Gzip is enabled on the PHP Ini from the hosting service but I don't recall a feature inside PHP-Fusion to use it. I'll look around of that helps you with browsing to this site.

Additionally, you can also look at the bottom of the web site. There is some stats/performance metrics that PHP-Fusion has built in (also attached)
Edited by amigamia on 06-10-2023 16:35, 7 months ago
amigamia attached the following image:
screen_shot_2023-10-06_at_40348_pm.png screen_shot_2023-10-06_at_40643_pm.png screen_shot_2023-10-06_at_42534_pm.png
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 7 months ago
amigamia, for my part arosworld is very fast, no slowdown, I noticed some slowdown only the first days of September, probably due to your maintenance !

Only strange thing is that if you use my "White" configuration, the News icons are bigger and overrun
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - Only strange thing is that if you use my "White" configuration, the News icons are bigger and overrun

It's not just the white theme. That's another thorn on my side about this place. The images have to be vector based or it won't resize them. I can't use PNG or JPG or GIF. If I do, I'll have to resize them manually. .SVG or another vector based are automatically resized. I changed it.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia - I can't say I share the same view of performance from my end. See attached screenshots.

I guess this is where we see night and day different. Your 150ms vs mine > 1000ms. I would appreciate if other people could make similar tests to see whether the problem is just me or more geographical (like Europe)

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia
Gzip is enabled on the PHP Ini from the hosting service but I don't recall a feature inside PHP-Fusion to use it. I'll look around of that helps you with browsing to this site.

I'd appreciate making the site operate with gzip. It would help with stalls, as it does with AROS World Exec.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 10
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]