Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

syntax highlighting

Last updated on 12 years ago
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
@serk

I don't use syntax coloring. I find it distracting and sometimes switch it off, or reduce the number of colors. But most people seem to like it.

Iirc the PortablE calls are made to be system independant, so I suppose a specialized text editor would not necessarily need to use Zune directly. I think there may be some examples that show the PortablE rapid design features.

But instead of starting another editor, there are some alternatives:

ShInKurO might be interested in adding syntax coloring to NoWinEd.

Annotate already has syntax coloring. Perhaps the latest version can be ported to Aros.

Simple Ed or Jano Ed code could be used as the base for an updated editor. The source is available. (Actually the source is available for all Aros editors, although I'm not sure about the licence conditions).

Surely it would be more problematic to start a new editor from scratch (unless you want to use the PortablE editor on different platforms).

Either way, a new or updated editor would be most welcome.
serk118ukserk118ukSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago

cavemann wrote:

@serk

I don't use syntax coloring. I find it distracting and sometimes switch it off, or reduce the number of colors. But most people seem to like it.

Iirc the PortablE calls are made to be system independant, so I suppose a specialized text editor would not necessarily need to use Zune directly. I think there may be some examples that show the PortablE rapid design features.

But instead of starting another editor, there are some alternatives:

ShInKurO might be interested in adding syntax coloring to NoWinEd.

Annotate already has syntax coloring. Perhaps the latest version can be ported to Aros.

Simple Ed or Jano Ed code could be used as the base for an updated editor. The source is available. (Actually the source is available for all Aros editors, although I'm not sure about the licence conditions).

Surely it would be more problematic to start a new editor from scratch (unless you want to use the PortablE editor on different platforms).

Either way, a new or updated editor would be most welcome.

GoldEd was nice and stormC had one and user friendly and mos got one and as aros user we have no pro editors when you look back to os3 68k amigas and i like "Jano Ed code could be used as the base for an updated editor. The source is available"
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
Hi serk118uk,

is it possible to program a text editor in PortableIE which has syntax coloring for gcc c/c++ than going the hard zune/mui way.

I know it probably isn't really your cup of tea but it could in general give an answer to your question _if_ it is possible at all.

fpgui.sourceforge.net/images/full/ide_main_form.png

So if that should work in freepascal for aros then it most definitly would be possible to do something similar with PortablE. ;)

Or did i completely missed the point of your question here ?

reagrds,
Posted 12 years ago

magorium wrote:

fpgui.sourceforge.net/images/full/ide_main_form.png

Or did i completely missed the point of your question here ?

reagrds,

no you have not matey......would be nice to have something like this for aros..
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
@serk118uk

Good :-)

Then i can tell that the fpGUI project is a GUI layer (for easyness call it a mui for pascal) for the freepascal compiler (a lot smaller then the LCL codebase) that can also be implemented in freepascal as LCL (in which case it's codebase becomes bigger). When not using as LCL (so in it's pure form), fpGUI has its own uidesigner and it's own editor (called maximus -> that was the picture i showed earlier).

More about the project on it's home page (http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/), a wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FpGUI) and the sourcecode on git (https://github.com/graemeg/fpGUI).

Current status for aros -> it shows fpGUI is just starting to be implemented for aros ;). ALB just started implementing it, but it already shows the gui. Not all functionality is implemented at the moment. That's what we (or rather ALB42) is working on.

If you are a bit adventures, you could try (freepascal) for yourself if you want to. If you do try and need help because you get stuck or something then please ask. If you know your way around the fpc compiler a little then things are pretty easy to setup.

Perhaps fpGUI's code can inspire to make something similar for E ?
I honestly do not know if there are other widgetset-support available for portablE. I do not want to distract you from using E, it's perhaps just worth something to look at ?

Regards,
Posted 12 years ago
@magorium
Thank you for the larger picture and will try to learn when i creat bit more free time of work/life/my ongoing projects...
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, serk118uk, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]