Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Is a Easy RPG port to AROS Possible?

Last updated on 8 years ago
M
mugenfightertubeJunior Member
Posted 8 years ago
Easy RPG is an open source game player compatible with RPG Maker 2000/2003. If I recall right it uses a SDL. Anyone happen to know if a port to AROS is possible. I would like to see this player ported.

Easy RPG Website
https://easy-rpg.org/
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 8 years ago
A quick glance, it seems to need Gtk and Cmake for the editor. Both not very easy for Aros. I didn't see an Sdl requirement, but just because it uses Sdl in some way, doesn't mean it can be easily ported.

It looks like they have a wiki. Perhaps you can ask there.
M
Posted 8 years ago

cavemann wrote:

A quick glance, it seems to need Gtk and Cmake for the editor. Both not very easy for Aros. I didn't see an Sdl requirement, but just because it uses Sdl in some way, doesn't mean it can be easily ported.

It looks like they have a wiki. Perhaps you can ask there.

Thanks for the info. I tried their forums already and they didn't even know what AROS was (to be fair my description was a very bad one with many errors). Also the editor is not required for the player to work. The editor is still not really worthwhile anyway. It is a replacement for the RPG Maker 2000/2003 editor, but it doesn't do much yet. But taking a closer look, AROS may not be the best choice for a port. Oh well, at least I got Amiga Forever integrated to Icaros.
Edited by mugenfightertube on 08-10-2015 11:38, 8 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 8 years ago
Hi mugenfightertube,

Nah, you description was accurate enough ;)

If you're serious about porting and also new to it, then perhaps some information that might help you:

- First get yourself familiar with the AROS buildsystem/SDK
- Try to find some ready to go (small) linux archives that compiles out of the box for AROS (or with minor adjustments)
- Then try some bigger projects, or attempt to compile some of those dependencies that bigger projects (usually) depend on.

There are some ports (diff files) available in the AROS ports repo, from which you could learn.

It requires an enourmous amount of effort/time if you want to get yourself familiar with porting software for AROS (or porting in general).

Mostly you will run into issues, some of them already encountered by others (search the aros-exec.org forums), but most probably not encountered before. In case the latter, you can always ask for help, but usually you're on your own on figuring out how things need to be adjusted in order to get things to compile/work for AROS (or amiganoid platforms in general)

Whatever you do, stay cool and please enjoy :)
M
Posted 8 years ago

magorium wrote:

Hi mugenfightertube,

Nah, you description was accurate enough ;)

If you're serious about porting and also new to it, then perhaps some information that might help you:

- First get yourself familiar with the AROS buildsystem/SDK
- Try to find some ready to go (small) linux archives that compiles out of the box for AROS (or with minor adjustments)
- Then try some bigger projects, or attempt to compile some of those dependencies that bigger projects (usually) depend on.

There are some ports (diff files) available in the AROS ports repo, from which you could learn.

It requires an enourmous amount of effort/time if you want to get yourself familiar with porting software for AROS (or porting in general).

Mostly you will run into issues, some of them already encountered by others (search the aros-exec.org forums), but most probably not encountered before. In case the latter, you can always ask for help, but usually you're on your own on figuring out how things need to be adjusted in order to get things to compile/work for AROS (or amiganoid platforms in general)

Whatever you do, stay cool and please enjoy :)

Thanks for the info. I'll have to get use to porting software for general use anyway because I plan on being a computer programmer. I'm kind of new to AROS/Amiga, but I find the platforms enjoyable. So I figured way not port a piece of software I like to a platform I like. I'll try to take your advice and use it to the best of my abilities.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, magorium, mugenfightertube
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]