Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

ArosVision development to start soon (I hope)

Last updated on 12 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
Hi SamuraiCrow,

For reasons beyond me i completly missed your progress-report (both here and on ae) :(.

Nice to see you at least are making progress and i am sorry to hear that things didn't really go the way as was planned. Wrapperwriting always seems a bit unsatisfactory from a programmer's stand of view.

From your experience i gather that you would have to do that wrapping for each and every (new) vision item you want to add ?

And just out of developer's curiousity: weren't you able to use a standard customizable wxwidget to be used for your (specific) vision components ? I really do not have any experience with wxwidget (other then the occasionally application which i install that needs it).

Wish u luck!

p.s. Almost forget to thank you for your (earlier) answers -> Thank You :)
regards,
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago

magorium wrote:
From your experience i gather that you would have to do that wrapping for each and every (new) vision item you want to add ?

And just out of developer's curiousity: weren't you able to use a standard customizable wxwidget to be used for your (specific) vision components ? I really do not have any experience with wxwidget (other then the occasionally application which i install that needs it).

wxWidgets are wrappers for existing GUI libraries. The wxObject root class just does reference-counting for purposes of deallocating unused objects. It's a substitute for garbage collection.

My hope is that wxVision will be object-oriented enough that the objects (called Modules) will be imported from some other high-level OOP language. Originally I hoped it would be PortablE, but it might be C++ or Java depending how it is written. If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago

SamuraiCrow wrote:
wxWidgets are wrappers for existing GUI libraries. The wxObject root class just does reference-counting for purposes of deallocating unused objects. It's a substitute for garbage collection.

ah yes this clears things up :). I also had a look at the wxwidgets.org website. It seems wxwidgets enounters the same problems lazarus has with it's lcl which is not completly 100% compatible on all platforms.
Add your own set of visual controls and you have all extra work ahead of you indeed :(.

SamuraiCrow wrote:
My hope is that wxVision will be object-oriented enough that the objects (called Modules) will be imported from some other high-level OOP language.

imho that depends on the programmer ;). I really wish i had more time, it would be an ideal project to tinker with in freepascal :S

SamuraiCrow wrote:
If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.

Ok, although the screenshot looks very nice (it even reminded me a little of amigavision somehow), you definately lost me somewhere :-)

Did you meant the vision-modules itself are loosly based upon those mentioned languages or that underlying generated code is ?

If i remember correctly: programs made in (amiga)vision produced some kind of basic-dialect code that could easily be transformed ?

I take/took it the initial though was to be able to let your vision-implementation generated user-defineable target-source/code (also (and perhaps) taking into consideration the llvm project) ? I had the impression you wanted to generate E-sourcecode from your vision-builder/editor ?

Or would it just produce a (visionlanguage)source that needs to be interpreted by the target languege (e.g. E, C++ etc.)

Or is it that you just go along, any which way that seems plausible ? :)

I just hope you can keep it interresting enough for yourself to stay interrested in this endevour. Too much satbacks can be a pita...

regards,
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago

magorium wrote:

SamuraiCrow wrote:
If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.

Ok, although the screenshot looks very nice (it even reminded me a little of amigavision somehow), you definately lost me somewhere :-)

Did you meant the vision-modules itself are loosly based upon those mentioned languages or that underlying generated code is ?

If i remember correctly: programs made in (amiga)vision produced some kind of basic-dialect code that could easily be transformed ?

I take/took it the initial though was to be able to let your vision-implementation generated user-defineable target-source/code (also (and perhaps) taking into consideration the llvm project) ? I had the impression you wanted to generate E-sourcecode from your vision-builder/editor ?

Or would it just produce a (visionlanguage)source that needs to be interpreted by the target languege (e.g. E, C++ etc.)

Or is it that you just go along, any which way that seems plausible ? :)

I just hope you can keep it interresting enough for yourself to stay interrested in this endevour. Too much satbacks can be a pita...

Originally, in my ArosVision plans, I was going to parse in PortablE as an importer and use PortablE as the exporter as well. Since the cGUI classes in the PortablE runtime libraries are taking a while and some deep thought on ChrisH's part, I've pretty much abandoned the idea of basing it on PortablE now.

wxVision is based more directly on C++ than ArosVision was. My current plan is to make it able to access some C++ libraries. (Mainly using the ones that don't use multiple inheritance for more than just interfaces.) I also have plans to make it operate independently of the text-based parsers altogether (unless you consider XML or JSON as text).

The Clang C++ compiler is designed with a modular library structure. It is the C++ frontend for LLVM and is written entirely in C++. I was planning on using the optimizer and code generators of LLVM for wxVision in the hopes that I could import support from C++ friendly OS functionality.

Now for the big news: I've got a job lined up 400 miles away in South Dakota. I'll be moving this month and part of next. This job is going to be programming in Java so I might just see if some of the ideas that I have will work in Java. That will save me some effort of writing runtime libraries if I try to make a jVision instead. It won't help Aros much though since Aros doesn't have ports of the Java runtime class libraries.

The only reason I would foresee ditching wxVision in favor of a Java-based approach is if the people in charge at my place of employment decide that it would be a good idea to pursue such a visual language as a professional venture. Since they are partners with Oracle and there was an XML-based language being developed at Sun Microsystems before Oracle bought them out. Perhaps there might be some interest.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
@SamuraiCrow

Thank you for your comprehensive explanation. It explains a lot :) and it is an interresting path :)

My initially thought was commenting on your explanation but:

Now for the big news: I've got a job lined up 400 miles away in South Dakota. I'll be moving this month and part of next.

Makes it a bit redundant and not so important anymores :)

Congratulations on your new job !! i really hope it works out for you and at the same time are going to have some fun overthere.

Concerning that development i also imagine you have more pressing matters to attend at the moment :D

Although i am a little sad about the possible road the vision project is heading (no aros version that is) i can imagine bigger things for some kind of Vision implemented in java. Then u r talking a whole other ballgame :) But like u said only when bigger balls come into play u would leave wxVision ;)
If it where up to me then i would say: Kick Some Balls !! :D

For now: 400 miles is a long way and i hope all that moving stuff is going to happen without too much hassle for you.

Wish you luck !
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago

magorium wrote:

@SamuraiCrow
--snip--

For now: 400 miles is a long way and i hope all that moving stuff is going to happen without too much hassle for you.

Wish you luck !

Thanks!
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 12 years ago
@SamuraiCrow
Moving is not fun this time of year. That probably goes double for South Dakota. But a good job in this economy is something to "crow" about. Congrats SamB)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, SamuraiCrow, Allanon, serk118uk, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 3
amigamia, miker1264, OlafSch

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]