Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

News cleanup

Last updated on 11 years ago
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

Cavemann wrote:
Yes, those are the icons I remember.

You can get them in view by changing your personal theme to something else than default theme.

Cavemann wrote:
It looks like they get in the way of the screenshots, too bad.

Yes, it sux. If this icon thing is taking real shape i will need to re-adjust some posts as it becomes .. uhm .. messy otherwise :D

Cavemann wrote:
Amiga style wallpapers.

ssst, this was my little secret to have some cool theming other people did not know about ;)

But i will post them to the list. BTW: Aren't you able to do that yourself (suggesting a link i mean) ?

Cavemann wrote:
Btw, I don't think it is necessary to have a script .....

Ah yes, but that means manual labour ... and you know what they say about lazy people ... :D

I would also suggest more categories. E.g. at least one for aros distributions so that they all can stay on one page.
Now, if you look for something (and the list grows taller) you have to search for a weblink... which imho sounds a bit counterproductive.

amigamia wrote
Hello folks! Thank you so much for keeping Arosworld alive and updated.

I thought that was why you hired me.... ?? btw where is that ferrari you promised ? ;p

But on a more serious note, thank you for the appreciation.

amigamia wrote
... We can vote some of them off the island, I am open to suggestions.

I have to think a bit harder for giving a usefull answer, as my gut tells me there is something else not quite right in that department but i cannot express what exactly atm. I will definitely get back to you on that. Also it would be nice if we got a little more feedback from others on that as well.

amigamia wrote
...However, none of the ones I found so far look clean and sexy as the Elin theme.
Still looking... :-)

It was probably not ment to critize, just an observation :)

Personally i dislike the standard theme :sorry: (one of the reasons being it is very hard to distinquish between posts now).

But that is strictly on a personal note, and i have no desire to change this. Also i can choose another theme that fits me better, so no problems here :)

However i do suggest we need something more spicey....

amigamia wrote
As an additional note. I want to create an AROS video commercial competition.

Well, actually i like this idea a lot.

I am fairly new when it comes to Aros, so i have no idea if there are any good promo movies out there that does a good job. As i said i am not really multimedia minded, so i do not spend time sifting out all those video-sites.

amigamia wrote
What do you guys think? :-)

I am just affraid the gusto might be very low, as i've seen more (good) initiatives bleeding into a silent dead.

And i have no idea as of why. There sure must be some multimedia students out there that (c/w)ould produce a good aros promo as an assignment or something.

Personally i am not good at such things, just let me code and let others take over the graphics and audio department :D

But as i said, i like the idea. Especially if there are no real aros promo's out there.

regards,
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 11 years ago
Hello folks! Thank you so much for keeping Arosworld alive and updated. You are absolutely right for the news categories. Some of them may not be aros related but at the time of the site creation, the CMS (Php-Fusion) came with some predefined ones and good looking icons. So I decided to create as many as I could on top of what I already had to make sure I wouldn't miss anything. We can vote some of them off the island, I am open to suggestions.

As for the categories icons showing in the news posts, that is a known problem with php-fusion version 7 and themes for version 6. I did try to make the necessary php code changes to make them appear again but it was taking too much of my time and it seemed more of a mock-up than a fix. The Elin theme used for this site was never updated to work with php-fusion 7, so I will need to find another one. However, none of the ones I found so far look clean and sexy as the Elin theme.
Still looking... :-)

As an additional note. I want to create an AROS video commercial competition. The general idea is to make AROS users compete for the 10 best AROS short video commercial. The videos could be included in the AROS distro (much like some of the backgrounds from an earlier competition), they would also give more publicity to aros on youtube, etc. I am still trying to come up with some more rules and guidelines but I am open for feedbacks. An inspiration example is the Video 1 link you see on the left menu on this site main page.

What do you guys think? :-)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Yes, those are the icons I remember. It looks like they get in the way of the screenshots, too bad.

Please consider adding these links too:
Amiga style wallpapers.
http://www.amiga-look.org/category/wallpapers
Mainly Amiga Os4 site, discussions open to all Amiga flavors.
http://amigaworld.net/

Btw, I don't think it is necessary to have a script so that the web links are always in perfect order. Just an occasional adjustment so that the web links are more or less listed with the most popular on top. That way the most popular links would be the easiest to find.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

.. Iirc, there used to be icons for each category, which was sort of cool too.

you mean like this ?:
www.hostpic.org/images/68AW_Newspictures.jpg

My ArosWorld site feedback would be that imo, the poll is due to be changed.

True, i will try ask admin if i can influence that in the future (now i can't).

And it would be nice to have a link to the ArosVision 68k distro in the Web links section.

Could have sworn i already posted that one. Consider it done.

Also it might be better to list the web links in order of popularity (hits).

Better let admin answer that, as i have no idea if that would be possible with current scripts.

Is this what you are looking for?

Ah yes exactly. My hero :D I tried different numbers, all to no avail, but this is what i indeed was talking about.
Thank you.

regards,
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
I don't thing anyone will mind about any changes to the news categories. Iirc, there used to be icons for each category, which was sort of cool too.

My ArosWorld site feedback would be that imo, the poll is due to be changed. And it would be nice to have a link to the ArosVision 68k distro in the Web links section. Also it might be better to list the web links in order of popularity (hits).

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx_zqlBow40
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi,

Some of you might or might not have noticed that i've taken the liberty to clean up the newsitems a little.

Some items got another category (which was imo more suited) and now all newsitems have a prefix which indicate some sort of a sub-category. I needed to change some news-items title for that, so i hope original posters won't mind.

Still i am not completely happy with the things i did (for example mui-extensions imo belongs to both coding and Aros-system), but at least it is more consistent now.

The idea here is, to make it easier if things needs to be re- and/or sub-categorized. Also it gives a littlebit more professional look to the outsideworld and newcomers.

I would kindly ask other newsposters to do the same, or if you are unsure (or can't be bothered) to leave the news-category empty. That way it is easier to adjust afterwards.

You also might have noticed me detailing about releases in the archives, and as i assume this was not done so in the past (only a weekly or so list that got posted).

You may or may not like that. Mind you, that when i started posting i had no notion of the upcoming aros-playground website and it felt some of the work published in the archives deserved a bit more attention than only a single-liner in a weekly post.

Still some topics are serious lacking when it comes to the news-items. For instance, the wole multimedia and showcase subject is almost completely ignored by me. Mostly because i simply lack the time to keep that up and also because it is not really my topic.

Imo, also some topic-categories are completely strange for Aros like for instance apple, windows and php. Although ofcourse there might be some topics that fall under those categories, such as virtualization or running Aros hosted.

Well, that's all i wanted to say for now i guess.

If you think you can do a better job, or fill in some gaps then please don't hesitate to contact admin and show us how things can be done in a better way ;)

Feel free to comment otherwise.

regards,

P.S. In the topic-category movies i wanted to post about the development-cycle of Aros (movie title something like "10 years Aros development in 10 minutes" ), but i seem to be unable to find a match. Perhaps there is someone who knows the location (or precise title) of this movie ?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 2
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]