Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS Finish Line

Last updated on 11 years ago
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
How close is AROS to it original goal of full compatibility with AmigaOS 3.1?
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Aros is about 80 percent compatible according to this page.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduction/status/everything.php

btw, welcome to ArosWorld :)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hello trans,

And also welcome to these forums from me :)

How close is AROS to it original goal of full compatibility with AmigaOS 3.1?

Technically i agree with cavemann here. But please also keep in mind that those pages need a bit of an update :).

Also keep in mind that AROS has more functionality/support/extensions then the orginal classic amiga OS had.

So in some fields there are still things lacking (some api calls for example) and on other fields AROS has more to offer (f.e. more supported hardware).

You can check it out yourself (if you want to) with the AROS Vision distribution or a m68k nightly. You can do that both on your classic machine (providing you have enough speed -> 68040+ or better yet an acceleration board) or in an emulator such as winUAE.

regards,
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Awesome! Then it seems the goal isn't too far off. I wonder at what point in the 90 percentile will be "good enough" to proclaim success?

Gosh. It's so close that I almost feel like drumming up a "call to bounty" campaign to push it to the finish line. Is it enough for a Kickstarter?

Oh, and thanks. Glad to be here among fellow Arosians!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi trans,

Awesome!

Yes it is indeed :)

Then it seems the goal isn't too far off.

And hasn't been for a while now. It's just that things keeps improving because incompatabilities are discovered. So on the outside it seems to stand still a bit sometimes.

I wonder at what point in the 90 percentile will be "good enough" to proclaim success?

Ofcourse this is a personal opinion for everyone to decide. Still some things are lacking which is needed to be more compatible. f.e. the Zune/MUI compatibility is atm something that shows in every day usage. The bounty was already taken, turned down and taken again :D

Gosh. It's so close that I almost feel like drumming up a "call to bounty" campaign to push it to the finish line.

Ofcourse this is my personal opinion but i don't think the core-developers need such thing atm. Ofcourse if you want to send in money to p2p to support aros devs then please do :)

The work is moving steadily towards the end-goal of being AmigaOS compatible. But Aros is more, and aims to go beyond that as well.

Imo that is exactly what is a difficult thing for the core-developers.

One day someone ask for better support for his/her graphics card, another asks for better support for his/her audiocard.

And underneath in the Aros core a lot of things sometimes changes in order to make it ready to be prepared for future implementations.

for example deadwood is backporting almost two years of inner-core development even as we speak (so please take note of the new released versions of distributions like Icaros and AspireOS).

And core developers time is limited, so what to choose ? Caught between a rock and a hard place :/

Is it enough for a Kickstarter?

We work with bounties. Much more reliable :).

Please don't forget the number of core-developers is low and their time limited. Everyone knows what needs to be done in order to let Aros complete some of it's goals. It's just that not everybody out there is fit for the job (sort of speak).

In that regards you can help as well. Evryone can. Translate some text, do some development, report issues and above all try and enjoy the use of aros :-)

On a sidenote: 68k development is lacking a bit lately because core 68k developers are pretty much occupied delivering support for other platforms for Aros. If you know someone (or perhaps yourself) is able to give a hand then let them contact the developers on aros-exec.org or the developers mailinglist. We most certainly can use an extra pair of hands.

Oh, and thanks.

No Problem :)

Glad to be here among fellow Arosians!

Same-o-same-o :D

regards,
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago

Of course this is my personal opinion but i don't think the core-developers need such thing atm. Ofcourse if you want to send in money to p2p to support aros devs then please do

I don't have nearly the kind of money that would make a bit of difference.

A Kickstarter campaign could flush the bounty system full of cash though, which could help speed up delivery and might even attract a few new core developers.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi trans,

I don't have nearly the kind of money that would make a bit of difference.

Ah, but that is the charm of our bounty system :). Please take a look here at power2people.org and see for yourself that even the slightest amount of donation _does_ make a difference :D.

One of the most recent examples is the open-source-ing of Dopus Magellan.

I agree it could perhaps have raised faster with another way of rasing money. Nonetheless it has taken less then a year (if i am not mistaken). I find that pretty impressive for such small community.

A Kickstarter campaign could flush the bounty system full of cash though, which could help speed up delivery and might even attract a few new core developers.

Don't get me wrong here. If you want to do something like that, you better talk it over with the devs and if they like the idea then please do not let me stop you :)

The thing is that I believe that it is not about the money (so no singing Meja).

As you might see for yourself on our bounty system, there are enough low-cash bounties that are taken. I don't even think current developers take the _amount_ in concideration. I think it can merely work as a little persuasion. I personally believe that not a single developer would work faster or harder on a taken project if the amount of money was higher.

Let's picture for example that there would be enough cash to let a developer work on AROS full-time for say a year.

Does that fit into your personal profile ? Would you say to your boss i'm outta here for a year to do something i really like and would you then welcome me back when i am finished ? How would your wife like that and your children ? Would your bank like that idea for the finance of the morgage ? etc. etc.

Thereby i personally believe there is no need for fast goldiggin' guys that are only there _for_ the money. Current developers system is that developers take responsibility for their code. If you break anything with your code you are responsible for fixing that as well.
Something i believe to _not_ fit into a golddiggers profile.

But please do not let my personal opinion hold your ideas back.

If you really believe an idea is good then please try and see how others opinions are on that matter.
Unfortunately most developers whom it concerns are not active here but on aros-exec.org.

regards,

fixed typo (with thx to da unnamed middle man who always saves my life in such situations ;))
Edited by magorium on 02-12-2012 08:58, 11 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, magorium, trans
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]