Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Max Specs

Last updated on 11 years ago
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Is there a maximum amount of RAM AROS can use? Would 8GB be pointless?

What about harddrives, are there partition size limits?

I did a quick google for these things but came up empty, so I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
As you might be aware there are some restrictions to 32-bit systems (although there are some tricks to circumvent them), but in general and in particular for AROS (32-bit at least) it is restricted to 4GB of memory.

Concerning harddrives, this depends on the filesystem being used. If i remember correctly sfs is capable of a maximum size of 127 (or was it 128) GB.
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Okay. I'll stick to 4GB then, at least it will save me ~$20 !

I looked into 64-bit AROS, but it looks as if, driver wise, that's just not happening :(
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
you are correct trans.

64 bit is not happening for 'normal' (ABIv0) AROS. so that would be a problem to begin with. All (released) software is ABIv0.

Also please note that even if you are able to stick in 4GB that AROS probably 'misses' the last 1GB because of 31-bit restriction.

thank you for your posts btw. See PM for more details.

regards,
hard_wiredhard_wiredNewbie
Posted 11 years ago
Also bear in mind that AROS is only capable of handling files up to 4GB of size - Unless it has been changed in the last few months, which then I stand corrected!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
I even believe it is actually 2gb hard_wired.

If not mistaken that is because of the same 1 bit that is needed for returning a negative value if a dos-api-call fails.
H
hean8209Newbie
Posted 11 years ago
Only time I managed to go Out Of Memory on aros was when I started OWB with only 128MB RAM.. Anything above 512MB is quite enough for everday use,
1GB is what I recommend, 2GB doesnt hurt.. anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

hean8209 wrote:
... anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)

I really love my ram: disk, it's so quiet and fast ;)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, hard_wired, trans, hean8209
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 1
deadwood

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]