Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Where's the AROS?

Last updated on 10 years ago
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Read the last line of this article: [url]http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-a-50-mini-pc-replace-your-desktop/
[/url]
What's that tell you?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
That some people write about technology that they don't understand, are narrowminded (for not looking any further then their own nose), brainwashed (for letting them dictate what OS exist/to use) and that it is a bad idea to purchase items that has technology that uses closed components so that opensource developers and operating system like AROS aren't able to take full advantage of the potential that such devices could display/entail.

In short: They got what they deserve ? ;)
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

The hardware is only lacking an affordable desktop operating system built for low-power ARM processors.

I think that was the quote he was referring to. And personally, I don't know why they skipped the ODroid computer with it's quad-core processor it's got plenty of guts under both Android and GNU/Linux.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Yeah, i know SamuraiCrow :D

Perhaps i'm a bit pessimistic fellow and should rephrase a little :).

The hardware tested is "lacking an affordable desktop operating system" because:
- they didn't look further then the 3 OS's they are familair with (being windows, Android, and linux).
- They didn't tried any other operating system with an affordable desktop.

And they could, if the hardware was open enough to be documented properly in a manner that is affordable for open-source developers. So that developers are able to build proper drivers based on proper documentation instead of wasting precious time inventing the wheel over and over again which each and every novelty device that appears on the market.

Because imo that is exactly what is keeping 'an afforable desktop operating system' away from such devices.

Another thing, in that last part quoted is the "Low-power ARM processors".

Running slow/bloated OS having crappy HW support doesn't help much in that regards.

I've seen such discussion over and over again from people who like nice products and f.e. buy an atom powered machine (when 1st gen) and expect it to run Windblows and play full-HD video, oh and play the latest 3D games available :lunatick:

Don't get me wrong. I fancy such devices as well, and they do what they do. And such devices do a good job for the hardware they have. Just don't expect miracles (especially when you don't even take the time to look around and try another OS. Could someone read in that article what was the reason for that ? )

Oh, rright. We don't want to bother the enduser/reader with such difficult procedures. It took them more then half an hour to get their Pi up'n'running, which ofcourse in this day and age is unacceptable ?

Sorry if i'm sounding a bit sarcastic, but i think i stick to my intial statement: They got what they deserved :)

If not mistaken that also answers trans intial thought of his question .... where is/was AROS. And the answer seems obvious: it couldn't.

red:
Or did trans perhaps meant, where is our own 100% open and by AROS fully supported stick'n'go device ?
Edited by magorium on 15-08-2013 12:39, 11 years ago
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

And while the Pi is a great toy for enthusiasts, it?s a terrible consumer product that we can?t possibly recommend to anyone unfamiliar with how to use the Linux command-line.

I don't think the reviewer would have kind things to say about AROS either.
transtransJunior Member
Posted 10 years ago
Yes, I want to see a $50 to $100 AROS on a stick device.
wolfewolfeJunior Member
Posted 10 years ago
I agree with Trans . . . :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, SamuraiCrow, magorium, wolfe, trans
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]