Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS as the best OS

Last updated on 11 years ago
M
MasterTggttNewbie
Posted 11 years ago
Hello,
I hope you are openminded enough and read this post without misunderstanding me.

I believe that currently AROS isn't the best OS but has the chance to become the best.

What do you think it's missing?

My opinion:
It's fast, looks good and is not resource hungry. I feel that computers are going to be more and more tied to batteries, and the AROS qualities could be a great advantage. Since interpreted languages are getting more and more common than natively compiled, the current memory protection drawback may not be important in the future.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

I believe that currently AROS isn't the best OS but has the chance to become the best.

hmm... so which is the best? :@

What do you think it's missing?

That's easy, it's missing about 100 developers. :D

I feel that computers are going to be more and more tied to batteries,

Aros should take the lead and use solar power. B)

the current memory protection drawback may not be important in the future.

Iirc, the Amiga never had memory protection. ;)
M
MasterTggttNewbie
Posted 11 years ago
What's the best? Honestly I'm currently lost looking for the best, possibly I should find some time and help aros get there some day once I have enough time.

Most times I use linux while working, but I feel like my hardware should be faster for editing text and simple graphics. I used to compile custom kernels using the scheduler by C. Kolivas, but it usually makes the system unstable. I have quit from recompiling the kernel every time a major kernel version is released.
Considering this issue, AROS is natively good enough, but it still feels unfinished, that's why I said that it could become the best.

By "memory protection drawback" I meant the lack of memory protection. As far as I know, they keep it that way to allow M68k compatibility. Despite approving their efforts on maintaining retrocompatibility, I hope it doesn't hinder the progress for other platforms, since the hardware itself is not being updated (historically, Motorola has moved support to PPC over M68k).
Edited by MasterTggtt on 05-09-2013 11:28, 11 years ago
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Once the Zune bounty is complete, it will be easier to get old MUI 3.8 applications to work on AROS as well as clearing the way to run AmigaOS 4.x's MUI 3.9 in a phase 2 Zune bounty. (MUI 3.9 is required to run Odyssey Web Browser, a WebKit browser originally written for MorphOS.)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
And to add the cherry on SamuraiCrow's cake, this bounty is what he called phase 2 (and was already worked on, but i guess needed the first mentioned bounty to be completed or at least in such a state to be able to continue).

@MasterTggtt:
I do not quite understand your memory protection writings. They would imply that not having memory protection is holding development back , which is (currently) not the case at all.
M
MasterTggttNewbie
Posted 11 years ago
I meant that I hope that they don't get excessive on providing too much M68k retrocompatiblity before other stability and usability issues are better. Because I think that these other issues would bring more users to AROS (and also developers).

And yes, I know that the bounty system does prioritize these things first, since the developers are free to accept it.

Talking about Zune being unfinished, I have quit from running wookiechat here since it crashes often, I think it must be Zune's fault and then I didn't report it... (NList/muimaster/etc access error).
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

MasterTggtt wrote:

I meant that I hope that they don't get excessive on providing too much M68k retrocompatiblity before other stability and usability issues are better. Because I think that these other issues would bring more users to AROS (and also developers).

Although my personal opinion, I don't think you have to worry there. afaik if 'retro' compatibility would 'hinder' current development then developers would decide to make a new branch.

Talking about Zune being unfinished, I have quit from running wookiechat here since it crashes often, I think it must be Zune's fault and then I didn't report it... (NList/muimaster/etc access error).

Hehe, Wookiechat seems a hot topic today for some reason. Here are the sources, feel free to contribute ;)
S
SamuraiCrowSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

magorium wrote:
And to add the cherry on SamuraiCrow's cake, this bounty is what he called phase 2 (and was already worked on, but i guess needed the first mentioned bounty to be completed or at least in such a state to be able to continue).

Actually that would be phase 3. Phase 2 is a subset of phase 3. :)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
SamuaraiCrow wrote:

Actually that would be phase 3. Phase 2 is a subset of phase 3.

Why-o-why don't they make those bounties foolproof for idiots like me :D iow, yes i agree.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, SamuraiCrow, magorium, MasterTggtt
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]