Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

How to get WiFi working on my icaros?

Last updated on 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I purchased that laptop that is 100% compatible with icaros including wifi. My question is I am using telus and it is using security wpa2 with encryption aes and I don't know how to connect my icaros to wifi support?

Thanks in advance. If there is a step by step guide to help me do this it would be sweet!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

Unfortunately i have little hands on experience with wifi, and i am also not aware of the availability of a step by step guide for setting up wireless.

One thing you should be aware of (in case you haven't already) is that it is currently not possible to have more then 1 NIC active at the same time.

according to what i've read wpa2 should not be a problem. Maybe ncafferkey's scanning tool can aid a little as well.

Setting up wireless shouldn't be much different than configuring for wired, so the icaros desktop manual (chapter 4.4) might be helpful (just apply for wireless instead of wired).

Also be aware that it sometimes takes a while for a network to connect (even for wired it sometimes takes 1-2 minutes for AROS to catch on and being able to detect all my network adapters/peripherals), sometimes wireless can behave even more slowly in that regards (so that might up being too impatient, even when you're doing everything ok).

Please feel free to report/ask in case of troubles, that usually is easier for me to find an answer for than to try write a step by step guide for you (especially as i cannot check myself atm as i have no AROS wireless supported card available).

Maybe you're in luck an someone else around is able to provide more information for you.

In any way good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help when running into trouble. Please just try to mention what steps you took and what exactly is going wrong for you).
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

magorium wrote:

Hi xboxown,

Unfortunately i have little hands on experience with wifi, and i am also not aware of the availability of a step by step guide for setting up wireless.

One thing you should be aware of (in case you haven't already) is that it is currently not possible to have more then 1 NIC active at the same time.

according to what i've read wpa2 should not be a problem. Maybe ncafferkey's scanning tool can aid a little as well.

Setting up wireless shouldn't be much different than configuring for wired, so the icaros desktop manual (chapter 4.4) might be helpful (just apply for wireless instead of wired).

Also be aware that it sometimes takes a while for a network to connect (even for wired it sometimes takes 1-2 minutes for AROS to catch on and being able to detect all my network adapters/peripherals), sometimes wireless can behave even more slowly in that regards (so that might up being too impatient, even when you're doing everything ok).

Please feel free to report/ask in case of troubles, that usually is easier for me to find an answer for than to try write a step by step guide for you (especially as i cannot check myself atm as i have no AROS wireless supported card available).

Maybe you're in luck an someone else around is able to provide more information for you.

In any way good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help when running into trouble. Please just try to mention what steps you took and what exactly is going wrong for you).

I downloaded the program from the link you send me and I even transferred it to my laptop and nothing happened. No sign of activity shows it worked and on top of that when I went into network prefs and clicked use nothing happened. No new user interface nothing and still could not connect to WiFi.

Before I go further into this I want to install icaros 2.0 first then attempt WiFi.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
It worked! it worked! it worked! I have access to the inteeerneeet yess yess yess!!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

congratulations on getting things to work :thumbsup:

You know what would be a big help to others ? if you would be able to share what it is exactly that went wrong the first time you tried.

Do you have any idea what you did differently this time to get things to work ?

Knowing this (and sharing with others) help others facing the same problem. And please don't feel embarrassed in case it was just something you forgot or perhaps due too impatience. It's a learning process for most of us ;)
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
From the person where I purchased the machine from replied to my situation:

Hi,

Please go to prefab folder and open network settings. You need to choose the atheros.device as driver.

Save this and make sure that the checkbox "enable networks tack at boot" is enabled.

After that you can use the wifi icon to choose your network. Alternatively you can use the wireless tab in network prefs.

I am underway but you can also check Icaros manual in "myworkplace/documents/
There should be a description with images if I remember correctly.

If this doesn't help I will upload a video tomorrow on YouTube to show the steps.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

----

It helped!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Ok, thank you very much for sharing xboxown. :thumbsup:

Although i suggested it, i didn't realize you purchased hw from phoenixkonsole :) (at least i assume you did given the msg you posted ;) )
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, xboxown
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]