Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Irritating bug of the month - March 2024

Last updated on 1 month ago

Poll: IBOTM - March 2024

#135 (AHCI- only 7.9 GB allocated out of disk) [9/19]47 %
    #125 (You can access a drawer icon even if the directory assigned to it does not exist) [3/19]16 %
    #120 (Incorrect Leave Out and Put away behavior if it involves icons from USB flash drive) [0/19]0 %
    #116 (Wanderer: Allow deleting by pressing Del key) [5/19]26 %
    #105 (DiskInfo showing OFS instead of FAT) [1/19]5 %
    #25 (Shell won't open from icon that leave out) [1/19]5 %
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
TLDR: >>>> https://github.com/deadwood2/AROS/labels/IBOTM <<<<

Here were are with another IBOTM! We continue with bug-fixing fun!

General rules are simple:

1) Bugs are selected from bugs reported > bug tracker
2) There is a poll made and community selects one bug from suggested bugs
3) I fix the bug.
4) Wait until next month; Go To 1;

The initial list of bugs will be related to ABIv0 i386 or ABIv11 x86_64. In effect bugs specific to m68k AROS or any other AROS flavor won't be added to poll options. Bugs can be in either AROS core system or in Contrib package. Bugs need to be reproducible on clean system releases, so bugs visible only on distributions won't be included.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
ok voted
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Thank you Smile
Posted 2 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Quick reminder - only one day left. Please vote!
T
TelematixNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Done!

Thank you.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
And voting is now closed.

It has been a close race but at the end #135 is selected to be fixed in March. Thanks to all who voted.
Posted 2 months ago
many thanksLike
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
Okay, I had voted for #116, it will be for next time !
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Hi All,

Here is ahci.device for tests:

https://axrt.org/...6-aros.zip

When you open HDToolbox you should now see full disk capacity. Existing partitions won't be "extended", but if you "wipe" and InstallAROS, the partition should be created to cover whole disk or 127GB if the disk is bigger than 127GB. Let me know if it works for you.
retrofaza, Amiwell79, Farox, miker1264
Posted 1 month ago
Many Thanks
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Thank you for your efforts to improve AROS.
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
I was trying to installing AROS on native AHCI-device and got returned an access-error with code "-6". Same issue when manually copying folders or files into AHCI-device.
The creation of an partition on AHCI was successful. Also the capacity of the harddisk was read correctly.

Accessing the harddisk with old AHCI-driver working fine for first bits until some seconds after installing process started.
Edited by Studenteer on 17-03-2024 15:35, 1 month ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
So if I understand correctly, with new ahci.device (version 0.9) you were able to partition the disk to have more than 8GB partition, but then when installing after reboot, you got the error?

Does it happen every time you try to install?
Is this happening on one of the recommended hardware?

Does you added comment mean that on this hardware also installing using old ahci.device gives errors?
Edited by deadwood on 17-03-2024 15:39, 1 month ago
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
1.) Yes, I getting issues when rebooting after partition has been created by installer.
2.) It happening every time I trying to installing on the harddisk.
3.) On the recommended hardware I have not tested yet (related to missing equipment), but well working device, where AHCI has worked before with old driver.
4.) Missed to add aditional informations. The correction is: "... harddisk with old AHCI-driver running on the partition, which has been made with the new AHCI-driver, working fine for first bits ..."
Edited by Studenteer on 17-03-2024 16:47, 1 month ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Thanks for explanation. Additional question: What do you mean by "for first bits"? Does it mean that when you partition with new driver, reboot to old driver, start InstallAROS then it starts writing some files but process still crashes at some point and does not finish?

Please test the new driver with AHCI=slowstart grub kernel parameter. Does it solve the "-6" problem?
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
1.) Yes, the driver return the error pretty early. It starting something after fourth folder has been copied.
2.) "AHCI=slowstart" not fixing the error.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
It's quite weird that old driver fails on newly partitioned drive :/

Can you do two tests:

1) repartition (Wipe option) the disk using ata.device and check if old ahci.device allows installing correctly
2) repartition the disk using ahci.device and check if installing 3-4 times work every time

If in both cases installing using old ahci.device works, I will prepare for you a few versions of new ahci.device to try to pin point where is the problem. Can you also share vendor id and product id of your AHCI chipset?
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
Both tests failed with old driver.

During testing, I was using Aros One 2.4, which seems to be a specific issue of the distro. When I switched to Aros 32-bit version 20220318, the driver was running on the device.

I am very sorry for this great missalert.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Ok, so let me understand correctly:

When you use 20220318-1 release, the old ahci driver partitions and installs AROS, but partition is limited to 8GB (as expected).

When you use 20220318-1 release, the new ahci driver partitions and installs AROS, and partition is not limited to 8GB.

Is this correct understanding?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot edit the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot vote on the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264, Studenteer, Telematix
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]