Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Unable to compile "contrib" from github sources

Last updated on 2 months ago
F
FaroxJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hi All
I'm new on this forum and i want to explore the possibility to port some software for AROS.
In last months i followed the developing of this interesting Amiga like OS, i have created an USB disk with
the latest release 2.4 of AROS-One, and try to compile with gcc integrated inside but had problems linking also on the shell the message didn't say much of what are the error, but the most important thing for me is cross-compiling.
So i started creating the Toolchain and the other things following your guide https://www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1201&pid=4162#post_4162 (i'm on Linux).
Toolchain and alt-abiv0-linux-i386 are building fine but i need SDL libs so i try compiling also "contrib".
So following your guide i downloaded (under AROS) and copied inside "alt-abiv0-linux-i386" next typed "make contrib".
But compilation stopped with this error:

Building datatypes/glowiconobject.datatype ...
/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/toolchain-alt-abiv0-i386/i386-aros-gcc --sysroot /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/AROS/Development -m32 -march=i686 -mno-ms-bitfields -nostartfiles -Wl,-Map -Xlinker /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/gen/contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject/glowiconobject/.map /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/gen/compiler/libinit/libentry.o /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/gen/contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject/glowiconobject/glowiconobject_start.o /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/gen/contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject/glowiconobject/GlowIconObject.o /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/gen/contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject/glowiconobject/glowiconobject_end.o -o /home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/AROS/Extras/Scalos/IconDatatypes/datatypes/glowiconobject.datatype -g -lz1
/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/toolchain-alt-abiv0-i386/i386-aros-ld: cannot find -lz1
mmakefile:1528: recipe for target '/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/AROS/Extras/Scalos/IconDatatypes/datatypes/glowiconobject.datatype' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d/bin/linux-i386/AROS/Extras/Scalos/IconDatatypes/datatypes/glowiconobject.datatype] Error 1
[MMAKE] make --no-print-directory TOP=/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/alt-abiv0-linux-i386-d SRCDIR=/home/farox/Aros/myrepo/AROS CURDIR=contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject TARGET=contrib-scalos-datatypes-glowiconobject --file=mmakefile contrib-scalos-datatypes-glowiconobject failed: 512
[MMAKE] Error: Error while running make in contrib/scalos/datatypes/GlowIconObject: No such file or directory
Makefile:333: recipe for target 'contrib' failed
make: *** [contrib] Error 10

Hope someone could fix this so i can continue on my AROS adventure.
Thanks
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi and welcome to AROS

Looking at the output the problem seems to be that you are building master branch of contrib. Please switch to alt-abiv0 branch and hopefully this will fix the problem.

If you have other questions about development, let me know - I'm happy to help onboard new developers.
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
Cio Farox and welcome to the forum, what kind of problems you had on the Shell, can you give an example or a screenshiot ! I on my AROS One 2.4 do not encounter any problem compiling sorgrnti with GCC from a Shell ...

Before running GCC you gave the stack !
F
FaroxJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - Hi and welcome to AROS

Looking at the output the problem seems to be that you are building master branch of contrib. Please switch to alt-abiv0 branch and hopefully this will fix the problem.

If you have other questions about development, let me know - I'm happy to help onboard new developers.

Thank you i followed the guide and i didn't noticed that i need to select the abiv0 branch.
Now i used "git clone -b alt-abiv0 https://github.co...ontrib.git contrib" to get the sources.
But compilation failed, most probably because of mixed compiled files.
So i restarted building alt-abiv0-linux-i386 and when it ends i'll recompile the "contrib".
I'll let you know if go well or not.
F
FaroxJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - Cio Farox and welcome to the forum, what kind of problems you had on the Shell, can you give an example or a screenshiot ! I on my AROS One 2.4 do not encounter any problem compiling sorgrnti with GCC from a Shell ...

Before running GCC you gave the stack !

Ciao AMIGASYSTEM (I'm Italian too) and thanks for your Distro. The problem is not on you distro, but in how gcc is showing linking errors (or best is not showing). On Linux when you compile and link you have messages of warning and if you have an error the shell tells you what is gone wrong...in this case i received only a generic error. But this was only a test as i prefer to cross-compile.
Next time i show you a shot of the message.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

Farox wrote:

@Farox
Thank you i followed the guide and i didn't noticed that i need to select the abiv0 branch.

This was missing in the guide. It's fixed now, thanks for reporting.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

Farox wrote:

@Farox The problem is not on you distro, but in how gcc is showing linking errors (or best is not showing).

Please note that native compiler and cross-compiler are in same version (6.5.0). It means it's highly likely cross compiler will give you same errors. In case you are still having issues, please post the errors here and I will try to help.
F
FaroxJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
After some hours compilation went good, Thank you.
Now i can try to port something.Smile
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Farox
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]