Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

SDL 2.0 for AROS

Last updated on 2 days ago
amigamia
Hello Arosians,

Does anyone know if SDL 2.0 is being ported to AROS ABIv0 or v1?
I'd like to start using it to develop a new(old) video game that I have been trying to create for a while now. I want to use the process to learn more about video game development, AROS, C++ development and at the same time do the work once to port the game to other platforms.

The idea here is to develop the game with the tools available in AROS such as lunapaint, milky tracker, etc. The second part of the idea is to develop the game for AROS only first and then port it to other platforms.

The seed of this video game came many years ago when I was a high school student and due to life events, never sat down play with it. All I have is an idea and a splash image hand drawn.

The name of the video game is "Tommy Bacheroz" but I have since changed the name to "Tommy Buckaroo" to make it more internationally readable. Bacheroz is an anglicized word from "Bacherozzo" which is slang for "Bug" in Italian.
cavemann
I would like to see SDL2 ported too. I know that BSzilli helped to port it to Morphos, but he hasn't been very active on Aros lately. The code is available if you want to try and port it, but probably not a piece of cake.

I don't think that Abi1 even has SDL1 ported yet. And I don't think that anyone would port SDL2 to Abi0, since it's not being updated much anymore.

Buckaroo, Bugs, haha sounds interesting, good luck Smile
D
Well ABIv0 is the stable version so this is actually were people should port stuff. Waiting for ABIv1 is... well... while(true);

Yet another test.

@amigamia

If you want to learn C++ than I suggest using some tutorials on C++11. A number of nice things have been added that change a lot how you program with standard library. I think our compiler supports C++11.
amigamia
Hi deadwood,

I actually have been learning C++ for quite a while through university's classes (Completing my BS in CS soon). I just never used it in a real project and the job I am doesn't allow me to use it every day. I wanted to use the opportunity to learn game programming while applying what I have learned over the years. Yes C++11 is the standard I am using.

SDL looks like the best option so far but I have been looking at Love2D as well. AROS has 0.8.0 ported by Bszili Smile
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You can start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You can upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.