Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Future of aros: Linux kernel?

Last updated on 2 months ago
M
matteoNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

i'm an enthusiast of amiga and i follow community of aros.
I'm interested in future, is possibile change aros kernel with a linux kernel?

maybe:
founding with a organization managed by deadwood
aros 2.0: linux kernel with Btrfs filesystem
aros 3.0: with new design. I like https://twitter.c...3383762322

Other interesting things
MUI + Reaction = ArosUI
Edited by matteo on 16-02-2024 05:23, 2 months ago
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
The result of using a linux-kernal would be some kind of that, what you can see on Haiku as "fork" of BeeOS. By using it, it felt like a linux when using it - not as a BeeOS.
The Btrfs-filesystem is very efficient, but have fragmenting-problem when using it. A new development of an new, AROS-/Amiga-orientated filesystem would be more useful then a btrfs or ext4-filesystem.

Also, there is some kind of AROS with Linux-Kernal (AEros), which you can use on ARES-Computers. I had never the chance to use it, but it looks like a linux and not really like an Amiga.

I do not want to tell that linux is a bad idea to use, but I'm very unsure if that would let Amiga still be Amiga or if it becomes an "linux-fork".
M
matteoNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Maybe

mui+reaction = arosUI
haikufs -> arosFS

fundraising with an organization to pay developer
Edited by matteo on 16-02-2024 05:48, 2 months ago
ArgoArgoNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Just run Ubuntu with an Amiga UI Theme
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi and welcome matteo

matteo wrote:

@matteo - Hi,
i'm an enthusiast of amiga and i follow community of aros.

The question that follows seem to indicate that you have not been following AROS community for a long time.

No problem, i'll try to explain Smile

I'm interested in future, is possibile change aros kernel with a linux kernel?

Sure, no problem. You can fork the AROS project and go ahead Smile

This topic has been discussed several times during decades of development and AROS itself will not change its kernel to Linux because... then it will just be another Linux derivative. It will destroy the legacy as we all known to like.

If you have been following AROS then you clearly have missed axrt. It is a project that attempts to accommodate some of AROS' shortcomings (though initially the axrt project has another goal).

Besides that there is some other (side) project by deadwood in the making that might be of interest to you and that is an Intuition windows manager for Linux.

Other interesting things
MUI + Reaction = ArosUI

Reaction as in classact GUI successor ?

Because if that is what you are suggesting then you do not seem to have the knowledge that these are both different technologies that can't really be compared or integrated together. It is either one or the other, and for sure you can run/install both but it would be comparable to using GTK and QT widgets on a Linux distro.

The latter is actually such a difference that it could probably be considered using two different desktop environments at the same time.

That is probably reason why you got the thumbs down.
Edited by magorium on 16-02-2024 07:35, 2 months ago
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
Deadwood was clear there will be 64-bit aros running under a linux kernel and applications will be native as they are now, plus for those who want to can run linux software and the desktop enviroment will be scalos
M
matteoNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Why there are
Wanderer in aros
Ambient in morphos
Amibench
Etc

Why not 1 desktop environment?
Edited by matteo on 16-02-2024 09:15, 2 months ago
Posted 2 months ago
we can talk about aros morphos and amibench are two close source and independent systems, the amiga community is diverse no one has ever wanted to collaborate everyone thinks of their own OS unfortunately
M
matteoNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Maybe is possible separate aros in sub projects
Ui
Fylesystem
Kernel
Ux

I like the Apollo os ux design. Maybe is possible integrate in aros?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 months ago

matteo wrote:

@matteo - Why there are
Wanderer in aros
Ambient in morphos
Amibench
Etc

Why not 1 desktop environment?

Good question. You can use an analogy to get an answer: why are there so many different type (and brand) of cars that you can choose from ?

And, no do not think about that as it is commercially viable but in terms of why so many shapes, forms, colours, different type of engines, bodies etc. And that is because every one creating such things think it is the best answer suited to their problem(s). Depending on the problem(s) your requirements might vary.

As written before there is a distinct difference between intuition, gadtools, reaction, zune/MUI so if you are using one of these solution you would have to create your own 'desktop' based on the used interface. So that already accounts for the necessity for (at least) a few different desktop implementations.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 months ago

matteo wrote:

@matteo - Maybe is possible separate aros in sub projects
Ui
Fylesystem
Kernel
Ux

You seem to have missed how AROS (actually Amiga OS) works internally. These parts are already separated. That is why there exist so many different solutions as it is more or less plug and play.

Try start reading the hardware reference manual then follow up with the rkrm's

AROS runs on ApolloOS, there is a special fork of AROS for it.
Edited by magorium on 16-02-2024 09:46, 2 months ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Double post but I seem unable to delete it myself.
Edited by magorium on 16-02-2024 09:46, 2 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi matteo,

In this post you can read the latest update on the development plan I'm following:

https://arosworld.org/infusions/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1114&rowstart=0#post_4072
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago

matteo wrote:

@matteo -

It is exactly the opposite, Apollo OS uses an AROS 68k Kickstart, moreover ApolloOS is a mix of AROS/OS3, on AROS there are also other distributions that are similar and were born before ApolloOS, such as Aros Vision (also a mix of AROS/OS3), and my AROS One 68k (see video), "totally native AROS 68k", which will soon be distributed again.

https://www.youtu...2Sh5jWZOYA
Edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 18-02-2024 13:06, 2 months ago
O
OlafSchJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hello Matteo,

welcome. There was a try to use Linux kernel as base and run Aros on it but it was obviously too complicated so nothing really useable was created. I think Deadwoods plan is more promising, you use a full linux system as base, have a amiga desktop as real linux desktop, propably if not changed Scalos, and compile aros apps as real linux apps and can even run 64bit aros software without change. Hopefully you can then mix everything like you can do with aros and amigaos software on 68k. That at least looks like something coming out of it that offers new opportunities. Using just the kernel, as I wrote, failed in the past.
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
We already have AROS hosted, it's a way of making it transparent for the user so that from UI pov all he sees are AROS UI metaphors, if that make sense
O
OlafSchJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
@pixie

you obviously do not understand the difference
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

OlafSch wrote:

@OlafSch - @pixie

you obviously do not understand the difference

??
A
asymetrixNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Consider T2 Linux, daily video streams, fixes, many architectures and custom work for a nice $$$.
https://www.youtu...cJcHPd2Bmo
Posted 2 months ago
but why distort what has been done in all these years, Odyssey could be updated maybe it's the only gap we have but this doesn't affect everyone, already being able to browse portals where they talk about amiga and view many blogs for many is enough
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, deadwood, Argo, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, Amiwell79, OlafSch, asymetrix, Studenteer, matteo
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]