Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Trouble with installing on very well supported hardware

Last updated on 1 month ago
E
ericxjoJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
So is the system.zip basically the contrib zip but with more stuff (it's a superset?)?
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
yes basically the development tools are missing, there is dopus 5 and the necessary software but if you want to make your own configuration download the contrib archive
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
You would basically have to copy all the Contrib, and not only that,,, many applications require the Hollywood libraries, if you don't want to reinvent the wheel, you find everything you need in AROS One 2.4
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
yes you must take care to install the hollywood libraries also

https://www.holly...nload.html
E
ericxjoJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
I'm fairly sure this is the wrong place to put this, but I noted that if you download AROS One 2.4, chose the USB version, the file it downloaded was confusingly called "AROS One Image-USB-2.3.vhd", which implies that it is 2.3. But, it's 2.4.
Posted 2 months ago
Don't worry it's just a writing error, go easy it's the latest version of AROS One 2.4, of AROS One don't exist, old versions because I disable them from download this is to avoid version confusion.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 2 months ago
Running into a strange issue with a known fully supported laptop (Dell Latitude D520) and AROS One 2.4 which was downloaded as USB image. Rufus was used to burn the VHD file.
Booting regularly with no changes just hangs to a black screen. Adding the noacpi switch to the grub boot lines, does start the boot process but the attached error shows shortly after.
amigamia attached the following image:
img_20240311_184305535.jpg
Posted 2 months ago
What version did you use of Rufus ? , I don't remember from whom, it was reported to me that the recent version of Rufus doesn't work well with AROS USB images
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 2 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - What version did you use of Rufus ? , I don't remember from whom, it was reported to me that the recent version of Rufus doesn't work well with AROS USB images

That was me in another thread. The problematic version was Rufus 4. I am using 3.20.1929 which has always worked.
The problem with Rufus 4 was during the burning of the VHD image. I don't have that same problem. It burns the VHD image just fine. I guess I could try 4 this time but the error is not clear to me.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
@amigamia

Two quick questions:
1) Did previous versions work correctly?
2) Did you try clean system 20220318 release installed to USB via VirtualBox InstallAROS process?
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 2 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - @amigamia

Two quick questions:
1) Did previous versions work correctly?

Yes, I currently have AROS One 2.2 installed. I had no issues booting with that version. With that version, I just have to add "noacpi" in the grub boot string otherwise it goes into a back screen and never boots.

2) Did you try clean system 20220318 release installed to USB via VirtualBox InstallAROS process?

I haven't yet. That was my next try in the coming days as time permits. Will let you know.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 2 months ago
Well, I have no issues with AROS-pc-i386-boot-iso version 20220318-1 downloaded from https://axrt.org/...loads-aros and using this method: https://arosnews....rive-aros/

I have been trying to install AROS One 2.4 via ISO using the same method as above but 3 hours later I am still trying. It's one error or another. Got tired of tracking them. One time was the USB and another AROS One just becomes unresponsive while in VirtualBox, a crash here and a crash there. I think I may have finally managed to make a new USB with AROS One 2.4 using the method in question and NOT the VHD/Rufus process.

We shall see!
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia

I have been trying to install AROS One 2.4 via ISO using the same method as above but 3 hours later I am still trying. It's one error or another. Got tired of tracking them. One time was the USB and another AROS One just becomes unresponsive while in VirtualBox, a crash here and a crash there.

That sounds pretty similar to what I experienced with AROS One 2.3 ISO in VirtualBox. Random crashes during installation process. I asked another person to re-test and he didn't have these problems. I think this shows there is something wrong with download process - seems that sometimes archives come damaged even though they uncompress (or they become damaged after uncompressing). It does not seem too frequent - else there would be more people reporting these problems.
Posted 2 months ago
In some cases it could also be a fragmented hardisk problem, it happens that sudden shutdowns of the (Fixed) PC corrupt the filesystem causing strange errors on the files.

A good method to keep the filesystem efficient at all times is to perform a SkanDisk on all volumes after the PC shuts down acause of power failure.

This procedure will prevent some corrupted files from being deleted.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 month ago
After much tribulations, I was able to install AROS One 2.4 by using the ISO and the method described above at AROS news. The VHD just refused to boot, despite the many times I re-downloaded it. Writing this reply from my Dell Latitude D520 with working accelerated Intel GMA graphics, working AHI, and working WiFi via an atheros 5000 chip.

This is a really nice laptop for AROS.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 month ago
Question @AMIGASYSTEM:

Is the GCC not included in the development? I don't see it. I even tried to run my install again from the USB drive and made sure I selected tthe option to install Development.

gcc -v returns : gcc: object not found
Posted 1 month ago
GCC works fine on AROS One v2.4, see screenshot !

Question:

Did you change anything on the Shell Icon?

On InstallAROS did you check "Install Debuggin Tools ans Dveleoper Software"

Does the SYS:Development folder include 795 MB of data?

If this data is not there just copy manually from the iso the data into this folder
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
gcc_1.jpg
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 month ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - GCC works fine on AROS One v2.4, see screenshot !

Question:

Did you change anything on the Shell Icon?

I didn't touch anything. I used the method descibed HERE: https://arosnews.github.io/how-to-prepare-usb-flash-drive-aros/ because the USB download from your site refused to work (See above for screenshot)

On InstallAROS did you check "Install Debuggin Tools ans Dveleoper Software"

I did and I did it twice. I said that in my previous post above.

Does the SYSGrinevelopment folder include 795 MB of data?

There isn't one.

If this data is not there just copy manually from the iso the data into this folder

To be honest, I am giving up for now. There are too many strange problems, crashes, and lock ups with this AROS One. I know it works perfectly on your VirtualBox but the experience is way different on a physical hardware it seems.
For the time being I am reverting to a basic setup using deadwood's ISO file without all the other bloat. We'll see if that works better.
Posted 1 month ago
But to create the USB image did you use my ISO DVD ?

If for some did not copy the Development with its content, copy manually all the Development data included in the ISO-DVD, in the Development folder of your HD

All strange what happens, some users have installed my USB Image and used the GCC

Nion give up, as a last try do this:

Try a Different Network and a different PC to download and burn the USB Image !
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 month ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - But to create the USB image did you use my ISO DVD ?

If for some did not copy the Development with its content, copy manually all the Development data included in the ISO-DVD, in the Development folder of your HD

All strange what happens, some users have installed my USB Image and used the GCC

Nion give up, as a last try do this:

Try a Different Network and a different PC to download and burn the USB Image !

That's the thing, I honestly do not think it's the download getting corrupted. I download files of any format without any problems. I have downloaded your AROS One USB from 3 different computers and it's showing the same problem when I install it.

To create a new USB drive, I used your ISO DVD yes! It did create it and I DID select to install the development files.

I am going to try one more time but if I manage to install it, the problems do not stop there. I have been experiencing other random issues once AROS One is installed. Lock ups, GURU errors, just at random times as I use applications. I can't go longer that 10-15 minutes without a crash where I have to reboot to get it back working. Now, I know AROS does not have memory protection and if an app crashes, it takes down the entire OS with it but when it's happening so often, it is quite distracting and annoying.

I installed the base AROS version from deadwood's axrt.org and it has been a MUCH more pleasant experience. I used it last night for 2 hours and only crashed once from a known problem when exiting OpenTyrian 2.1 game. It's painful to introduce all sorts of apps, tools, to be able to bring a base AROS version to a more usable experience but at least I am not getting interrupted by a random crash while I am playing a tune or editing a file.

Sorry AmigsSystem, no offense. I love what you do and continue to do for AROS. I still think AROS One is a delight, but the excitement is short lived for my point of view. Perhaps, it has just become a but over-bloated with apps that are, for lack of better terms, poorly coded or bugs never cleaned up, which continue to be a showstopper for the whole OS.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264, mattson62, Studenteer, ericxjo
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]