Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Prototype of AROS ABIv0 emulator for 64-bit AROS

Last updated on 14 days ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi All,

I will use this thread to update you on the progress of prototype of this emulator.

Right now there is nothing yet to see, but first major hurdles have been cleared:

1) 32-bit test binary (of Tools/Calculator) is loaded and relocated under 64-bit AROS
2) 32-bit emulation mode is enabled in CPU and several lines of 32-bit code has been executed
3) Kernel of 64-bit Linux-hosted AROS has been modified to allow correctly task-switching between processes running 32-bit and 64-bit code
Edited by deadwood on 07-03-2024 08:32, 2 months ago
retrofaza, pixie, aha, magorium, mattson62, ntromans, Argo
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
ok thanks
Posted 2 months ago
Great newsSmile
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
I would say quite an achievement, this will make a difference in the AMIGA world !!!
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Awesome! Good to hear.
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 2 months ago
That's great news. So now it may be possible to run 32bit apps on AROS x86-64 without re-compiling them. Nice!
A
ahaNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
Excellent news! Thank you very much, Deadwood!
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264 - That's great news. So now it may be possible to run 32bit apps on AROS x86-64 without re-compiling them. Nice!

The emulator is still a looong way from being usable, but yes - that's the goal. To enable migration to 64-bit with being able to use a large portion of current 32-bit programs.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Very impressive deadwood even if it is at the early stages of development. Thank you for letting us know.
mattson62mattson62Junior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Another AROS milestone soon to be achived,the excitement continues... The state of AROS is Strong and continues to grow in big way.Congratulations on what has been achived so far!
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
I may be asking too much, just hoping that someday in the future to also transparently run 68k aros also
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

pixie wrote:

@pixie - I may be asking too much, just hoping that someday in the future to also transparently run 68k aros also

Isn't AROS already running 68k applications transparently via J-UAE?
Posted 2 months ago
I think pixie means something like "Petunia on OS 4.1" or like on MorpOS, where you can run 68k binaries directly, a kind of emulator built into the system.

On AROS there are Janus-UAE and E-UAE but they do not allow you to run a 68k binary directly.

On IcaroOS there is AmiBridge, which does more or less this job, but has a complex procedure !

AmiBridge :
https://www.youtu...N4hQVzsidk
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Ok, I guess I meant AmiBridge. As the video shows, one of the ways to run 68k application is transparent - that is 68k window is AROS window.

While the emulation can be more integrated so that you don't see the configuration screen of J-UAE, that's probably the best you can ever get.
Posted 2 months ago
The MOS method seems to me the best where you can run a binary directly, without configuring anything, that of OS 4.1 is less compatible.

JanusUAE, surely is the best 68k Emulator in the Amiga world, it would be enough to integrate it into the system, also the AROS E-UAE version seems to be further ahead than the versions used by MOS and OS4.

There would also be FS-UAE "Multiplatform" which after WinUAE is a very good Emulator that could be integrated if this were possible.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - I think pixie means something like "Petunia on OS 4.1" or like on MorpOS, where you can run 68k binaries directly, a kind of emulator built into the system.

Yes something like this, or like AxRuntime. I think the most important thing would be that both systems could use the same ui, file requesters... (like it is being targeted for AxRuntime). As for how JanusUAE/AmiBridge work I'll be sincere, I haven't seen it working yet.

Would it be possible to build a 68k version that articulated better with the 'server', so at least one wouldn't see windows inside windows...
Edited by pixie on 08-03-2024 15:09, 2 months ago
Posted 2 months ago
the optimal emulation on aros as far as software for 68k is concerned is to launch the emulator as a new instance in a dedicated window, it would be great to have an emulator like petunia and trance in the respective OS4 and MorphOS
Posted 2 months ago
No it doesn't fit in a dedicated window, with an annoying second mouse arrow, this is already done by Janus-UAE, the 68k should be integrated and applications should open on Wanderer in the same way as x86.

Petunia on OS4.1 does not work well, most of the tested Applications, to me almost never worked !
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

First visual effects of the emulator. A simplest hello-world program compiled under ABIv0 is now loaded, executed and unloaded under 64-bit AROS. See screenshot.

It's good progress considering the short amount of time. Next objective is to start loading and using 32-bit libraries - any software more complex that this example needs to be able to use libraries.

For anyone interested, here is the code of minimal program:

#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <proto/dos.h>

struct DosLibrary *DOSBase;

__startup AROS_PROCH(Start, argstr, argsize, SysBase)
{
 AROS_PROCFUNC_INIT

DOSBase = (struct DosLibrary *)OpenLibrary("dos.library", 0L);

PutStr("Hello from ABIv0!!n");

CloseLibrary((struct Library *)DOSBase);

AROS_PROCFUNC_EXIT
}
miker1264, retrofaza, Argo, ntromans, pixie, Amiwell79
You do not have access to view attachments
Posted 2 months ago
many thanks deadwood
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, aha, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, Amiwell79, miker1264, OlafSch, mattson62
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 7
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]