Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Hardware

Supported Hardware
349 posts | Last Activity on 25-02-2024 15:38 by AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM 25-02-2024 15:38, 2 months ago
Re: Trouble with installing on very well supported hardware
[quote name=ericxjo post=4292]@ericxjo - You (all) were right! I was running on 2.3, burned the wrong image. Okay, I'm on 2.4 now and screen dragging works. Still freezes under a significant load (run several demos, drag screen rapidly up and down, let go -- will likely freeze). But otherwise this is the best I've seen AROS run since I've started to play with it. Thanks[/quote] Thank you for testing AROS One 2.4, there are some Demos that don't work after you run other Demos, if you report me the Demo that created the Blockage for you, if it can't be fixed I will delete it from the Distribution, the freeze might be caused by a bug in the Demo.
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 22-02-2024 20:33, 2 months ago
Re: Recommended hardware
for new users, get help in making the best choice regarding hardware, even if you have to take but a couple of very inexpensive cards it's no big deal
Responded in Recommended hardware
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 22-02-2024 20:29, 2 months ago
in my opinion it's not good hardware yes it's cheap but even a simple intel core 2 duo doesn't cost that much and in fact you can put in a graphics card at a very good price that supports 3D, aros doesn't need that many resources it's a light and performant system even on very old hardware like the one I mentioned
E
ericxjo 21-02-2024 18:20, 2 months ago
You (all) were right! I was running on 2.3, burned the wrong image. Okay, I'm on 2.4 now and screen dragging works. Still freezes under a significant load (run several demos, drag screen rapidly up and down, let go -- will likely freeze). But otherwise this is the best I've seen AROS run since I've started to play with it. Thanks
AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM 21-02-2024 16:40, 2 months ago
I think you have not installed AROS One, unless you kept an old version, or you had mixed Distributions, on my site old versions were never available, only the latest version is always available. On AROS One if you go to AROS->About there is the logo of AROS One with the description of the version with date 2024 (see screenshot), so you have not installed AROS One, also on AROS One since always the screens can be dragged to any location. Question, can you provide the link where you downloaded AROS ? [img]https://www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/attachments/aros_one.jpg[/img]
D
deadwood 21-02-2024 15:28, 2 months ago
Hmm, that's weird. I just tested AROS One 2.4 under VirtualBox with VESA driver and screen dragging works. Anyhow glad you solved the installation issue.
E
ericxjo 21-02-2024 15:16, 2 months ago
Thanks for your help! I didn't think to look in the BIOS. When I did, I didn't see any setting where "drive" was an option. I did see an option to change the drive from "AHCI" to "IDE". Being the only setting that seemed relevant, and the only alternative option, I switched it. When I ran the installer again, it instantly detected IDE, and it installed and booted fine. I suppose this might limit the total drive size in the future, but as for this machine, it works fine. I did notice that it was using "aha.device" and not "ahci.device" before, as well, and I might experiment with that in the future. Currently I'm running AROS One, not sure of the version, but AROS->About says "Personal pc-i386 Build ABI_V0 Dec 5 2023" so that looks quite recent. It's minor, but I like Icaros's look a lot better and of course it has screen dragging (which does crash, but rarely... any way to test screen dragging in the newer kernels?) but it seems AROS One is more recent. Any way to "have it all"? (screen dragging and newer kernel?)
D
deadwood 21-02-2024 02:48, 2 months ago
Hi ericxjo, Icaros has several years old kernel and that is possibly the issue. The recommended hardware was re-tested with last two AROS ABIv0 releases so your best bet is to use AROS One 2.4 or latest version of TinyAROS. Additionally as Studenteer mentioned, please make sure you are using ahci.device in InstallAROS and that you are using "Wipe" option to create partitions. (see screenshot) If this fails and you confirm that you have a working disk, please post a photo of the crash you are getting.
S
Studenteer 20-02-2024 17:52, 2 months ago
The Fujitsu Futro S720 is using AHCI-driver as standard. Check if the installer is trying to installing over "ata.device" and change to "ahci.device" if not selected. Related to the bug with AHCI, it could be more useful if you changing drive-handling in BIOS to SATA in BIOS Settings, if you interested in extending capacity by replacing drive to larger one in the future. In the BIOS is an option, which part of the hardware is controlling the computer when running an OS. Check, if this is option is set to "drive". If that not changed anything, check if the mSata-drive (looks like an nvme) is correctly inside or damaged. For that, you have to lift up the back of the device, which is fixed at the back by some screws.
E
ericxjo 20-02-2024 17:36, 2 months ago
Quick question for those who know more about this: I bought a Fujitsu Futuro 270 basically because it was listed as a good option on the AROS hardware compatibility list. However, when I run it (I'm trying to use Icaros, but any AROS is fine) it won't install to the drive. It shows an icon (NTFS0:NDOS) which I think refers to the drive, but the installer will just crash regardless of the driver I use. Any suggestions? (the drive has been blanked with DBAN, which booted and saw it and was able to zero it out)
E
ericxjo 20-02-2024 17:33, 2 months ago
EDIT: Whoops, meant to post in a new thread. Sorry!
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 20-02-2024 09:45, 2 months ago
there is another thing to point out if gallium will not be updated it is pointless to think of the latest hardware possible i.e. without graphics acceleration in my opinion it is pointless at least for laptops
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 19-02-2024 16:57, 2 months ago
there is also achi support that will be fixed and then you will have sata support, i have taken my computers apart from laptops and netbooks always at random but i always refer to systems with features that have been outdated for years
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 19-02-2024 16:37, 2 months ago
in my experience, as far as fixed computers are concerned, many are compatible, but we're talking about computers from about ten years ago, but they're still very good, and not only for aros. then you can upgrade with a compatible video card, network card and maybe an SSD. roughly speaking, starting with the intel core 2 duo you can have a good workstation. i don't know which generation of i7 is compatible, maybe the third or fourth or even the fifth
M
Methanoid 19-02-2024 16:37, 2 months ago
Again, from memory but didnt Deadwood himself add support for Fermi cards to AROS many years ago?
J
Jeff1138 19-02-2024 15:21, 2 months ago
Hi, AFAIK, fermi and onwards is not supported and most AMD including amdgpu is not as well, am hoping more AMD but who knows what the future might bring Regarding the HCL, one persons junk is anothers... ;-)
M
Methanoid 19-02-2024 10:07, 2 months ago
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support this page IS actually helpful and relevant (IMHO) Would ask for Fermi to be clarified.... does it mean GF 5xx or include Fermi GF6xx cards like GT610? Would ask for AMD comment to be clarified - does this mean all cards that AMDGPU supports (I have a Bonaire card for example somewhere) work with 2D and OpenGL? Or something else? As someone who HAS won the Plain English Campaign's Crystal Mark I can say confidently that the page ISN't the clearest :-)
M
Methanoid 19-02-2024 09:58, 2 months ago
@retrofaza Oh so buy MORE hardware than be able to see from an HCL what works that I might already have? Not what I want AT ALL @deadwood Yes I see what you are doing But the pages of "junk" like this excerpt of "untested" stuff except to tell me USB 3 doesnt work. Well they are just "junk" info to me. Name Chipset IDE SATA Gfx Audio USB Ethernet Wireless Test Distro Comments VivoBook 15 K505ZA X505ZA AMD R5 2500U Raven Ridge N/A M.2 Vega GCN 5 with VCN 1 HD USB3 N/A 2018 64bit - 15.6" HD 1366 x 768p - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - Vivobook F412DK AMD R5 3500U N/A NVMe Radeon 540x HD USB3 2019 64bit - 14in FHD - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - VivoBook 15 K570ZA X570ZA AMD R5 2500U N/A M.2 Nvidia GTX 1050 HD USB3 N/A 2019 64bit - 15.6in - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - Vivobook X421DA M413DA, Vivobook X512DA, Vivobook F512DA M515DA, AMD Ryzen 3 3250U later AMD R5 3500U R7 3700U 2 NVMe AMD RX Vega 3 HD Audio with codec USB 3.1 gen N/A 2019 2020 14in, 15.6in FHD IPS dull - internal battery - ram soldered - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - Zenbook 14 AMD 3700U 4500U N/A NVMe Vega 8 or 10 Gen 3 N/A 2019 64bit - LPDDR4 ram - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TM420 4500U 4700U N/A NVMe Vega 3 or 7 USB3 N/A 2020 64bit convertible - 4gb ram soldered with 1 sodimm slot - internal battery - keyboard swap requires removal of all components - I was hoping the HCL would have finally evolved to something like those that Hackintosh sites offer - more in the form "this chipset LAN will work, this doesnt, this chipset GPU works, this doesnt, this Sound chipset works" but its not. I'm not expecting anyone to give a stuff about what I think but I am just expressing how I think AROS is making itself more and more niche and less relevant when you cannot "join the club" without buying the cheap compatible recommended kit. I'm pretty confident I have AROS supported kit and can run it. I just don't think it's encouraging new users. Deadwood has been an AROS stalwart for years so maybe you are too close to it to see this. Just my 2p. My world isn't affected if nobody cares :-)
D
deadwood 19-02-2024 09:33, 2 months ago
@Methanoid The HCL contains now two sections. One starting from "Recommended hardware" contain hardware that is re-tested and certified to work. This is for people who don't want to experiment and just want to buy hardware that works and is guaranteed to be working. Second section, starting from "Laptops" list information on multiple hardware that was tested with AROS throughout the years. This one is for people who like to experiment and find out what works and what does not. The "Recommended hardware" section currently contains 2 portable models, 1 desktop model and 4 motherboad models along with indiction of GPUs to use. As I read your post, this is what you are looking for: hardware that is proven to work and that will continue being supported and re-tested with future releases.
R
retrofaza 19-02-2024 09:30, 2 months ago
At the very beginning of the list you have just what Recommended hardware is for, so you don't have to buy blind and test. You have several boards that we have tested and they definitely work. They are not expensive.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 103 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 58 posts
Bars&Pipes 1.0 is Availableby Amiwell79 53 posts
Buttons not shownby OlafSch 9 posts
WipEout Rewriteby Farox 4 posts
Cross Platform Applicationsby miker1264 3 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 226
Newest Member: PerspexSphinx
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]