Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS-Exec down (for good?)

Last updated on 7 months ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
Looks like AROS-Exec is finally down for good. I am in touch with 4pLaY via discord to get a copy of the backup files and database. Once I get a hold of them, I'll try setting up a subsite on arosworld.org.

One question remains, Keeping two forums sites makes no sense then. Do we just restore aros-exec forum threads here and just rebrand it as arosworld.org (discarding this site files) or keep both of them running?

What do you all think?
amigamia attached the following image:
screen_shot_2023-09-18_at_65036_pm.png
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Yeah I noticed AE was down, exactly 2 months and 1 our after the certificate officially expired Sad

I wish 4play (and family) the best for all that is to come.

One thing you could consider if it is not in your wishlist to run two forums is to try and make AE static as linked by o1i on the ae thread.

I am biased when it comes to forum software as I favour the sleek and tidy interface and ease of maintainability of SMF. If you really wish to leave it to the community a poll might perhaps be an option ?

Oh btw in case you have issues with setting up SMF or want something tested beforehand then feel free to give me a nudge as I can test things out in a VM for you.
Edited by magorium on 18-09-2023 19:30, 7 months ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

magorium wrote:

@magorium - Yeah I noticed AE was down, exactly 2 months and 1 our after the certificate officially expired Sad

I wish 4play (and family) the best for all that is to come.

One thing you could consider if it is not in your wishlist to run two forums is to try and make AE static as linked by o1i on the ae thread.

I am biased when it comes to forum software as I favour the sleek and tidy interface and ease of maintainability of SMF. If you really wish to leave it to the community a poll might perhaps be an option ?

Oh btw in case you have issues with setting up SMF or want something tested beforehand then feel free to give me a nudge as I can test things out in a VM for you.

Thanks magorium, I will take your offer to help as soon as I get the files form 4pLaY and start setting things up. As for a decision to keep them, I'll post a poll soon so I can gather what everyone would like.
cdimaurocdimauroNewbie
Posted 7 months ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia - Looks like AROS-Exec is finally down for good. I am in touch with 4pLaY via discord to get a copy of the backup files and database. Once I get a hold of them, I'll try setting up a subsite on arosworld.org.

One question remains, Keeping two forums sites makes no sense then. Do we just restore aros-exec forum threads here and just rebrand it as arosworld.org (discarding this site files) or keep both of them running?

What do you all think?

I prefer that you restore aros-exec as per last backup of 4pLaY and make it the new arosworld.org. SMF is way better as forum software (albeit I prefer vbullettin).

You can keep the current one as a subforum, so you can have both (or you can close it, if there'll be no activity anymore. I assume that the new AE will be THE used one).

And I would really appreciate if you could also make available the very old aros-exec at least statically linked, so that we can access (again!) its immense knowledge base. 4pLaY should have a backup for it as well.
Anyway, this is the last priority.
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 7 months ago
If you could extend the previous db with new functionalities it would be sweet! These like/dislike are sweet
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
I voted "Yes" on the poll, however it needs more explanation:

SMF has for me 3 advantages:

1) Ability to continue where we left off - so continuing old threads
2) Familiarity of use
3) Speed of rendering - current arosworld.org "feels" slower comparing to aros-exec. I don't know if this is due to hosting plan (which can be solved with more money) or due to software itself (which can't be solved)

2) and 3) are something that will become less relevant with time (we will just adjust to change)

On the other hand, current set up of arosworld.org has support for news, galleries and blogs which makes it much more that "just a forum". The question is whether @amigagamia you want to put effort in using these features (like continue posting news).

I guess the ideal setup for me would be SMF for forums and having full-ledge News functionality available, but it's a tough call as I'm already getting used to new forum software, to 2) diminishes pretty quickly.
warelogix, pixie, Argo
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

On the other hand, current set up of arosworld.org has support for news, galleries and blogs which makes it much more that "just a forum". The question is whether @amigagamia you want to put effort in using these features (like continue posting news).

That's the thing, SMF is just a forum portal no more no less. PHP-Fusion does have several features (Infusions) such as News, Blogs (Currently disabled), Web Links (very useful), Photos, Downloads, Articles, Polls/Surveys, etc. etc.

I know they are not being used much right now but with people being directed here now, they could be beneficial on the long run.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

And I would really appreciate if you could also make available the very old aros-exec at least statically linked, so that we can access (again!) its immense knowledge base. 4pLaY should have a backup for it as well.
Anyway, this is the last priority.

That's going to be a long shot. I am not sure if that's even available anymore but I'll ask. First things first, the new AE.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 7 months ago

amigamia wrote:

That's the thing, SMF is just a forum portal no more no less. PHP-Fusion does have several features (Infusions) such as News, Blogs (Currently disabled), Web Links (very useful), Photos, Downloads, Articles, Polls/Surveys, etc. etc.

First things first and say that I like that arosworld now has additional features that you talk about. The old a-e also had some of those features and I liked that as well.

But... SMF can have such features as well depending on your preference. For example take a look at tiny portal plugin for SMF that has many of such features integrated. There are other plugins as well, some working together some you would have to let work together yourself.

Before looking into that I strongly suggest to try and setup the old forums first and experiment offline with a newer version of SMF with f.e. tiny portal plugin.

With regards to preference, I figured out how to word it more accurate now: Just as deadwood I prefer SMF for development issues. For development I expect a support forum that is clean, mean and to the point without too much bells and whistles. For daily usage support and understanding the OS I prefer to have more bells and whistles such as news, people posting their desktop setups etc. The old aros-exec (though perhaps a bit based on nostalgic feelings I guess) seem to have been a perfect mix (at least for me) between those two more or less opposite sides back then.
Edited by magorium on 19-09-2023 18:28, 7 months ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

magorium wrote:

@magorium -
Before looking into that I strongly suggest to try and setup the old forums first and experiment offline with a newer version of SMF with f.e. tiny portal plugin.

With regards to preference, I figured out how to word it more accurate now: Just as deadwood I prefer SMF for development issues. For development I expect a support forum that is clean, mean and to the point without too much bells and whistles. For daily usage support and understanding the OS I prefer to have more bells and whistles such as news, people posting their desktop setups etc. The old aros-exec (though perhaps a bit based on nostalgic feelings I guess) seem to have been a perfect mix (at least for me) between those two more or less opposite sides back then.

I am afraid until I receive anything from 4pLaY we have to use this for the time being. So far, I haven't received anything yet.

The version of SMF used for the now defunct AROS-Exec was an older version. The fastest way to bring AE back online is to use the same version of files and then experiment/toying around with a version upgrade. That is if I get the backups at all.
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Yes. Having the AE content become part of Aosworld.org seems like a good idea so that we still have access to the older but very informative topics.

One question though. I'm still getting accustomed to posting on Arosworld. Will the AE screenshots and attached files still be available if the AE database becomes part of Arosworld?

I'm currently using Dropbox to provide links to images and files. Is a more direct upload method planned for Arosworld much like AE or is that not feasible?
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

- One question though. I'm still getting accustomed to posting on Arosworld. Will the AE screenshots and attached files still be available if the AE database becomes part of Arosworld?

If the screenshots were linked to outside sources (i.e. imgbb, dropbox, etc.etc) then those images should still work. If the images were uploaded on the same hosting storage where AE was hosted, that depends on what I get for the backups.

I'm currently using Dropbox to provide links to images and files. Is a more direct upload method planned for Arosworld much like AE or is that not feasible?
There is. For example you can attach files, images, etc. to forum threads but you can also submit files for the downloads section. See the different options under the Submit from your Personal Menu (Top right coner of this site). There are limitations in size and extensions and it will be sent in or approval by an administrator, in this case me but there can be more over time.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
OK A bit of news. Made contact with 4pLaY and have provided FTP access for him to upload the backup files. When uploaded, I will let everyone know.
miker1264, magorium, Argo, deadwood
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
We have a backup for AROS-Exec!! Well it's the entire backup of amigalife.com and somewhere in there, there is also the backup of the old AE from 2009. With that said, there is some work to be done to look through the archive and separate fish from bread.

I might test things out offline first on offline LAMP server but if anyone is interested in helping, let me know.
fatsie, deadwood, cdimauro, magorium, Argo
screen_shot_2023-09-24_at_100902_am.png
cdimaurocdimauroNewbie
Posted 7 months ago
WoW! That's great!

I'm only a developer and not that much used on web (I worked on backends), but if you need something please drop down some details and let's if/how I could help.
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 7 months ago
That is good news.

It would be great to continue our discussions.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
Well got some good news. I have identified the right database and the right files. Set it up on my home LAMP server, found the settings PHP file and voila'. The theme is still messed up but I am still. working on it. Picked up right were it was left off.
deadwood, Argo, magorium, pixie, warelogix
screen_shot_2023-09-24_at_83935_pm.png
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 7 months ago
Good work!
ArgoArgoNewbie
Posted 7 months ago
Awesome
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
ARE YOU READY FOR THIS? IT'S ALIVE!!!!! Cool

Still working out kinks and references to the old domain but it's basically already running here in arosworld.org side by side. I hope to finish up this week-end and I'll open it to the public. Same accounts and passwords should work!

I have to be honest, I am completely new to SMF. Anyone have any good background or has used it before? I could use some help along the way.
screen_shot_2023-10-03_at_90722_pm.png
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium, deadwood, Argo, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, cdimauro, miker1264
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]