Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Recommended hardware

Last updated on 2 months ago
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hi,

No, the T630 is an improvement over the T730 especially the since the T730 can self destruct with external pci-e graphic cards

Most AMD thin clients are good options which is nice as most corps are offloading them now at very cheap prices - important to get the external power supply at the same time as they all can vary in nature
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
FYI, on the candidate hardware list, I added users who have specific hardware
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 6 months ago
deadwood I have had two acer aspire 5630 they work well you can easily mention me as a user who has used it
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
@Amiwell79 - the list shows current owners of the hardware, not past. The reason is that tell who I can go to do re-tests of new releases on that hardware.
Posted 6 months ago
ok deadwoodSmile
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Let me know if/when you buy it though - I will add you then
Posted 6 months ago
ok thanks deadwoodLike
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@ Studenteer

I have a few questions about Futro A 720

1) Can you confirm that sound and network work out-of-the-box using ABiv0 build?
2) It this machine something straightforward to use? In a sense that I plug a pen-drive, boot AROS from it and then install it to internal storage without any need for special actions or opening the machine?
3) I didn't understand your comment about "disadvantage of mSATA"
4) These machine seems to be coming in a few different configurations RAM-wise but also storage-wise - either none, SATA or mSATA. Can you confirm there is at least SATA port on motherboard and you can squeeze in SATA disk (and there is also power cable for it inside of machine)?
5) BIOS-wise, does it behave line any other x86 PC or is there some added complexity? Administrator passwords etc?
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
1.) I can confirm, that the sound and network working out-of-the-box with ABIv0.
2.) Straigthforward-usable. Just avoid installing AROS over USB3-Port related to the usb-driver.
3.) With "Disadvantaged of mSATA" it was meant, that there is a 2242 mSATA inside and installed on a mSATA-Port. It's not nessacary to use, but it is the only easy-use port for storage-drivers.
4.) There are up to two, atleast one SATA-Port installed on the motherboard, so it is useable. The RAM-Configruation is different to S700/S900 (two slots) - S720/S740 is only one slot installed. If having a Futro S720 with 2 GB or 4 GB does not practiacally matter using AROS.
About SATA-Power-Problem: The motherboard and casing was used on older versions, where hdd was installed. Offically, there is no port for it, but you can use the internal USB-pins, which left open for addition internal USB-C or USB-A-Port, for using some of them pins for Powerdelivery. You need to be ready to buy some cables with female hats, but it let running an hdd/ssd-drive without any problems.

5.) Security-features are deactived by default, but can be actived if wanted. Just switch the storage-driver controll from CPU to Drive itself - it can cause problem with shuting down computer related to some AROS-Distros.
Posted 5 months ago
I did a search on ebay it's really cheap even one store sells 10 of them for 80 euro too bad about the video adapter but it can also be done without
Edited by Amiwell79 on 17-11-2023 07:37, 5 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@Studenteer

Thanks for explanation on SATA power and your other answers. I do have one more question: can I replace the default with with higher capacity? You mentioned it's a '2242 mSATA'. I'm not familiar with how those embedded systems works. Is this a standard where I can buy a larger disk and swap the one that is built in? Is this just one standard or are there many mSATAs and it's easy to get the "wrong mSATA"?
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
It is like normal M.2 SATA, so purchaseable and installable. I recommending going beyond 64 GB, because sellers at 64GB and lesser want high prices because mSATA is not longer in use (replaced by M.2-Size) and higher sizes are still in production - so 8GB mSATA-Drive is as expensive as 128GB mSATA-Drive. I have tested up to 256 GB, which working. Beyond I have not tested yet.
Edited by Studenteer on 17-11-2023 12:40, 5 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Thanks again for explanation. Smile
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Cannot recommend any of these :(

Wyse Vx0(L,LE), Cx0

(Vx0)
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works (USB drive must be connected to an available port in back)
Video = CN400/PM800/PN800/PN880 [S3 UniChrome Pro] : Vesa 1024x768 : Works
Audio = VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 : Does not Work
Ethernet = VIA VT6102-3 [Rhine-II] : Works
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works (Mini-IDE)
Power Off = Hold Power Button

(Vx0L)
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works (NOACPI parameter and USB drive must be connected to an available port in back)
Video = CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] : Vesa 1024x768 : Works
Ethernet = VIA VT6102-3 [Rhine-II] : Does not Work
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works (Mini-IDE)

(Vx0LE)
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works (NOACPI paramater and USB drive must be connected to an available port in back)
Video = CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] : Vesa 1024x768 : Works
Ethernet = VIA VT6102-3 [Rhine-II] : Does not Work
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works (Mini-IDE)

(Cx0)
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works
Video = VIA VX855/VX875 Chrome 9 HCM Intergrated Graphics : Vesa 1024x768 : Works
Audio = VIA VX900/VT8000 High Definition Audio Controler : Works
Ethernet = VIA VT6120/VT6121/VT6122 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter : Does not Work
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works (Mini-IDE)

HP Z440 (Desktop Tower)
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works (NOACPI parameter)
Video = No integated adaptor
Audio = Realtek HD ALC221 : Works
Ethernet = Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM : No Driver
USB = Works (No USB3)
AHCI = Woks
Power Off = Tap Power Button

Both the Panasonic Tough Book CF-18 and CF-29 cannot boot, from USB, for testing and installation.

For Thinkpad T60, the touchpad and nipple do not respond. I'll, eventually, investigate with a USB mouse. Other machines, I own, also have this issue; but are not common machines.

That is what I have tested for now. I test more soon.

I also have the Acer AspireOne ZG5 (tested by others).
Edited by d0wz on 22-11-2023 23:52, 5 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@d0wz

Thanks for the tests! Looking forward to any other hardware tests Smile I also added you to the list for ZG5.

With regards to HP Z440, the specs page from HP(https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04506309) says it comes with an nVidia card - yours didn't have that card?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Hi All,

I wanted to give you a short update:

1) I refined the list of hardware candidates. I'm attaching a screenshot here for all to see. As it is written on HCL, we are quite strong with hardware of 2010 era and that's a good starting point. The goal is definitely to support newer hardware as these 2010 era machines become less available second-hand. The last column shows the number of people active in this thread who have specific hardware

2) I purchased Fujitsu Futro S720 and ASUS M2N68-AM SE2. I already tested both and ASUS board has an unfortunate bug with USB support which should be solved for next ABIv0 release.

3) I'm now ready to add first two machines to "Recommended hardware": ACER Aspire One ZG5 and Fujitsu Futro S720, with a note that S720 does not support hardware 3D.

4) Is anyone willing to purchase: Acer Aspire 5630-6796 6288 BL50, Dell Latitude D520, Toshiba Satelite A215-S4757, Dell Wyse 7010 Z, Dell Wyse 5060, HP T630, MSI 760GM, ASRock 890FX, Gigabyte GA-G41MT D3, ASUS AT3N7A-I, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H or MSI H55M-E33 to confirm hardware compatibility?
deadwood attached the following image:
hw_candidates.png
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood -
... with a note that S720 does not support hardware 3D.

Quite strange. May I ask, which programms you used for testing 3D? I would like to check if I tested 3D with different software.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
I mean I tested this with VESA mode, which supports only software 3D. For hardware 3D we'd need a native driver for the radeon chip.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 5 months ago

4) Is anyone willing to purchase: Acer Aspire 5630-6796 6288 BL50, Dell Latitude D520, Toshiba Satelite A215-S4757, Dell Wyse 7010 Z, Dell Wyse 5060, HP T630, MSI 760GM, ASRock 890FX, Gigabyte GA-G41MT D3, ASUS AT3N7A-I, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H or MSI H55M-E33 to confirm hardware compatibility?

I have a Dell Latitude D520 and a Dell Wyse 7010 Z which I am trying to install AROS One 2.2 on but having some difficulties creating a flawless image. I am going to try your latest image next
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
Amigamia, sorry but I can't understand from the translation!

Are you trying to create an Image? What are you creating it with and what tools are you using to create a USB Image?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]