Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Development General

Development General
1704 posts | Last Activity on 04-03-2024 22:23 by miker1264
M
miker1264 04-03-2024 22:23, 2 months ago
Re: A bug I'd like to fix
It's good that you are familiar with C programming for Amiga. In that respect you will find that AROS system files and structure is very similar. But there are some differences such as Cybergraphx Library and HIDD drivers such as for the Graphics Drivers, and other drivers. When I first started with trying to program for AROS by updating picture datatypes I had been doing C# programming off and on for 10 years prior to that but I had absolutely no C experience. It was a very difficult time for me for the first 2 years as I learned mostly by trial and fail. But eventually I learned that memory management, string handling and error handling were the basics for C programming. Most errors are related to those categories. So look there first. As for the problem you have described it could be memory related or it could be due to the graphics driver being faulty. However, it's not conclusive. I would try to narrow down the problem by doing a series of tests that you can set up yourself to isolate the problem further. Also, you must be aware of which version of AROS you are using for testing. Is it AROS Native or AROS hosted? Are you using Wanderer or Magellan? Is it AROS One x86 or Icaros or Tiny AROS? Which version of system files are being used? Such as AROS One v1.9 or 2.4 or other. For example several years ago I was testing datatypes on Icaros Desktop Native with Native Nvidia graphics driver installed. It was Icaros v2.0.3 I believe. Quite often I would get memory errors and the system would freeze after a few operations. This happened a lot. I suspected the datatypes were at fault. Especially BMP datatype constantly caused graphics glitches. The BMP images were distorted. Having exhausted all possible explanations I decided to upgrade to Icaros v2.10. Surprise! Everything worked well. The previous version of Icaros was really buggy. So test the graphics or memory related errors in the same way on Native and Hosted if possible and on different versions of AROS to get a better idea if it's really a problem that can be fixed. But when you get into AROS programming further we need some updated Nvidia graphics drivers. Happy coding!
Responded in A bug I'd like to fix
E
ericxjo 04-03-2024 20:42, 2 months ago
Re: A bug I'd like to fix
Hi! Many, many (many!) years ago I used to code on the Amiga in C and 68k. Now I'm playing with AROS. Back in the day I mostly just played with it, or helped my older brother with his more serious projects (also on Amiga in 68K or C). Playing with AROS, I do like it quite a lot, but there's a couple of bugs and oddities I'd like to fix. To be straightforward here, I'm not sure I'm up to the task. Partially because I haven't dug into the details of systems like this since I was in my teens -- but in any case -- I do have experience programming in general, programming in C specifically, and programming on Amiga-like machines specifically. So here goes. There's an odd bug in AROS where, if you put the system under some graphical stress (specifically, running a bunch of demos, either from Extras/Demos or from Extras/DemoEffects -- side note -- I do appreciate an OS that comes preinstalled with lots of cute desktop toys -- thumbs up from me! -- and then drag the Wanderer screen up and down a few times, the system will freeze hard. I have no idea if it's freezing at the kernel level or if it's something in the graphical system. I have turned screen composting off, and any other thing I could find which I could think of as a complication. I have also tried quite a few different combinations of demos. No one demo seems to trigger it. It's triggered when a sufficiency (at least 3, at most 9) demos are running at the same time and you flick the screen up and down rapidly. I am aware that the OS this one is based on did not have any kind of concept of memory protection, and therefore one task can happily corrupt another, or even the OS itself -- but even with that idea in mind -- I'm pretty sure (a solid 65% sureness or so!) that this is a true kernel or graphical subsystem bug. This bug, which I admit is basically meaningless (I mean, who flicks the screens up and down? For fun?) just irritates me. So my first question is, how does one approach a bug like this? Is it possible to somehow put the kernel itself under a debugger? How to distinguish if it's the kernel or the graphical subsystem? I'm open to any ideas. Right now I'm so new at this that I'm not even sure what questions to ask. But I think this is a nice, deep-end-of-the-pool issue to jump into.
Responded in A bug I'd like to fix
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 02-03-2024 05:55, 2 months ago
Re: Solved "Help" a driver is missing to be able to port Bars&Pipes
hitchhikr it is also possible to have the midi driver for 64-bit aros;)
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 02-03-2024 05:53, 2 months ago
Re: AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Support
deadwood about audio recording these days I try out the builds
AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM 02-03-2024 04:24, 2 months ago
deadwood on Aminet new Codesets version 6.22 is out, AROS x86 version is not working, generate Guru ! http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/codesets-6.22
AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM 01-03-2024 08:37, 2 months ago
Re: Irritating bug of the month - March 2024
Okay, I had voted for #116, it will be for next time !
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 01-03-2024 08:15, 2 months ago
many thanks(y)
D
deadwood 01-03-2024 04:24, 2 months ago
And voting is now closed. It has been a close race but at the end #135 is selected to be fixed in March. Thanks to all who voted.
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 29-02-2024 13:00, 2 months ago
Re: Developers Resources - Discussion
ok deadwood
D
deadwood 29-02-2024 12:34, 2 months ago
@Amiwell79 Thanks for suggestion, but this guide is not up to date with current state of AROS anymore.
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 29-02-2024 10:18, 2 months ago
perhaps this guide by portable may also be useful http://cshandley.co.uk/crosscompilers/
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 29-02-2024 09:47, 2 months ago
I tried icaros desktop doesn't work with it either
D
deadwood 29-02-2024 09:30, 2 months ago
@Amiwell79 Ok, please let me know in which older version recording via hdaudio is working. Here you can find all previous releases: https://axrt.org/download/aros/v0/
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 29-02-2024 08:52, 2 months ago
I don't know why you can no longer record, the driver is hdaudio deadwood
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 29-02-2024 08:07, 2 months ago
I managed to register I will try installing icaros desktop deadwood
AMIGASYSTEM
AMIGASYSTEM 29-02-2024 04:06, 2 months ago
deadwood, with Audioevolution I have never been able to record, I don't know whether in Driver problem or incompatible hardware, Recording doesn't work even with QuickRecord the application ! http://archives.aros-exec.org/?function=showfile&file=audio/record/quickrecord.i386-aros.zip
D
deadwood 29-02-2024 02:29, 2 months ago
Which driver are you using and is there program simpler than Audioevolution where I can test recording? Also do you remember the last version of system where recording was working?
T
Telematix 28-02-2024 18:33, 2 months ago
Done! Thank you.
Amiwell79
Amiwell79 28-02-2024 18:02, 2 months ago
a small problem I can no longer record with audioevolution at least I have tried three different computers the sound card is compatible
D
deadwood 28-02-2024 12:11, 2 months ago
Quick reminder - only one day left. Please vote!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 102 posts
ADoom3 benchmarkby retrofaza 39 posts
Development Planby deadwood 32 posts
The Fulcrum Scene Demoby Farox 16 posts
Odyssey Resourceby Amiwell79 15 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 1
Amiwell79

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]