Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Hardware

Supported Hardware
341 posts | Last Activity on 06-10-2013 22:54 by wolfe
wolfe
wolfe 06-10-2013 22:54, 11 years ago
Re: Where's the AROS?
I agree with Trans . . . :)
Responded in Where's the AROS?
trans
trans 05-10-2013 13:00, 11 years ago
Yes, I want to see a $50 to $100 AROS on a stick device.
M
magorium 05-09-2013 00:20, 11 years ago
Re: Hw Review: Wireless for Every Arosian!
Great news emeck. Using Aros native is so much nicer (i think). Glad you were able to find a solution that works for you and welcome into the land of the lounge lizards :D
emeck
emeck 04-09-2013 07:01, 11 years ago
Re: Hw Review: Wireless for Every Arosian!
@all my Icaros box is also connected now to my wifi router through a wifi expander with an ethernet port. Works nice! No need to run the VM in Debian now to connect to internet with AROS B)
C
cavemann 20-08-2013 18:50, 11 years ago
Re: ATI and AROS
After spending a bit more time with the Bearsoft Ati drivers, they don't seem quite as stable as I first thought. In other words, some Sdl games have random crashes with these drivers. But still the Ati drivers are much much more stable than the Nvidia drivers with Sdl games. (This is probably a problem with Sdl and not the drivers). On my wish list. It would be better if the driver defaulted to 16 or 24 bit mode instead of 15 bit mode (which makes the Aros Workbench look weird). Also it would be nice if we could choose monitor frequency (like the Nvidia driver). That would help make things more rock steady :)
Responded in ATI and AROS
XDelusion
XDelusion 20-08-2013 16:29, 11 years ago
I never even bothered testing the default drivers, but I did try the new ones, and while they are not quite ready for prime time, I will have my eye on them. Also looking forward to 3D support my self! :)
C
cavemann 15-08-2013 14:26, 11 years ago
[quote]... And while the Pi is a great toy for enthusiasts, it?s a terrible consumer product that we can?t possibly recommend to anyone unfamiliar with how to use the Linux command-line.[/quote] I don't think the reviewer would have kind things to say about AROS either.
M
magorium 15-08-2013 12:18, 11 years ago
Yeah, i know SamuraiCrow :D Perhaps i'm a bit pessimistic fellow and should rephrase a little :). The hardware tested is "lacking an affordable desktop operating system" because: - they didn't look further then the 3 OS's they are familair with (being windows, Android, and linux). - They didn't tried any other operating system with an affordable desktop. And they could, if the hardware was open enough to be documented properly in a manner that is affordable for open-source developers. So that developers are able to build proper drivers based on proper documentation instead of wasting precious time inventing the wheel over and over again which each and every novelty device that appears on the market. Because imo that is exactly what is keeping 'an afforable desktop operating system' away from such devices. Another thing, in that last part quoted is the "Low-power ARM processors". Running slow/bloated OS having crappy HW support doesn't help much in that regards. I've seen such discussion over and over again from people who like nice products and f.e. buy an atom powered machine (when 1st gen) and expect it to run Windblows and play full-HD video, oh and play the latest 3D games available :lunatick: Don't get me wrong. I fancy such devices as well, and they do what they do. And such devices do a good job for the hardware they have. Just don't expect miracles (especially when you don't even take the time to look around and try another OS. Could someone read in that article what was the reason for that ? ) Oh, rright. We don't want to bother the enduser/reader with such difficult procedures. It took them more then half an hour to get their Pi up'n'running, which ofcourse in this day and age is unacceptable ? Sorry if i'm sounding a bit sarcastic, but i think i stick to my intial statement: They got what they deserved :) If not mistaken that also answers trans intial thought of his question .... where is/was AROS. And the answer seems obvious: it couldn't. red: Or did trans perhaps meant, where is our own 100% open and by AROS fully supported stick'n'go device ?
S
SamuraiCrow 15-08-2013 06:27, 11 years ago
[quote]The hardware is only lacking an affordable desktop operating system built for low-power ARM processors.[/quote] I think that was the quote he was referring to. And personally, I don't know why they skipped the ODroid computer with it's quad-core processor it's got plenty of guts under both Android and GNU/Linux.
M
magorium 14-08-2013 22:27, 11 years ago
That some people write about technology that they don't understand, are narrowminded (for not looking any further then their own nose), brainwashed (for letting them dictate what OS exist/to use) and that it is a bad idea to purchase items that has technology that uses closed components so that opensource developers and operating system like AROS aren't able to take full advantage of the potential that such devices could display/entail. In short: They got what they deserve ? ;)
trans
trans 14-08-2013 14:56, 11 years ago
Read the last line of this article: [url]http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/can-a-50-mini-pc-replace-your-desktop/ [/url] What's that tell you?
C
cavemann 06-06-2013 14:07, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=62&pid=354#post_354][b]bearsoft wrote:[/b][/url] Do you use this driver? http://www.syntaxsociety.se/~bearsoft/[/quote] I've tried your radeon drivers and they are a big improvement over the Aros default radeon.hidd. The annoying graphic glitches of the default driver are fixed with your drivers. Good deal, I'll never go back. All of the radeon drivers report that they are version 1.0 (which is a little confusing). The beta driver is supposed to support more resolutions. I'll take your word for it, as both drivers seemed to work the same for me. One driver included an obsolete grub setting. That setting should probably should be removed from the zip in case someone is tempted to use it. Both drivers worked with my Agp Radeon 9000 card (using a distro with the old kernel) and they also worked on my pci-e x300 (with Icaros 1.5.2). This thread is about stability and I am happy to say that the cards were as stable in Ati native mode as they were in Vesa mode. As far as speed goes I did not notice any hardware 2d acceleration (nor any degradation). The cards speed in general seemed slightly better or about the same as the cards Vesa speed. So I got the same stability and performance as Vesa mode with the added benefit of getting to change resolutions and better fullscreen modes. Thanks for the link. I can recommend the bearsoft radeon.hidd to anyone that uses Ati on Aros. My only wish, would be for the chance of getting 3d support someday ;)
C
cavemann 04-06-2013 00:59, 11 years ago
@bearsoft Will try it out - thanks :)
B
bearsoft 03-06-2013 23:31, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=62&pid=353#post_353][b]cavemann wrote:[/b][/url] @hean8209 I assume this is for an Agp system, so I have an Sapphire 9000 (Ati 9000 clone) running on an old 1.2 ghz machine. Since you are not interested in 3d I ran the 2d game Blobwars as a benchmark. In Ati mode the game ran at 21 to 25 fps. In Vesa mode it was slightly slower at 20 to 23 fps. If you prefer another benchmark, let us know. I normally run this setup in Vesa mode. In Native Ati mode, the graphics will start with black icons. But after you set the Screen mode in prefs, the screen will look normal. The problem with using Ati mode is that when many programs start, they will scramble the graphics, so you end up rebooting. That is why I always use Vesa on that machine, even though native mode can sometimes be nicer with some programs.[/quote] Do you use this driver? http://www.syntaxsociety.se/~bearsoft/
C
cavemann 23-05-2013 02:50, 11 years ago
@hean8209 I assume this is for an Agp system, so I have an Sapphire 9000 (Ati 9000 clone) running on an old 1.2 ghz machine. Since you are not interested in 3d I ran the 2d game Blobwars as a benchmark. In Ati mode the game ran at 21 to 25 fps. In Vesa mode it was slightly slower at 20 to 23 fps. If you prefer another benchmark, let us know. I normally run this setup in Vesa mode. In Native Ati mode, the graphics will start with black icons. But after you set the Screen mode in prefs, the screen will look normal. The problem with using Ati mode is that when many programs start, they will scramble the graphics, so you end up rebooting. That is why I always use Vesa on that machine, even though native mode can sometimes be nicer with some programs.
M
magorium 22-05-2013 21:50, 11 years ago
Hi hean8209, Sorry for the late reaction, but i am a bit puzzled. You say you have issues with your NVidia cards. This is/was a known problem. Have you tried again with the latest icaros ? Furthermore, if the driver gives you issues with your card _and_ you do not care much about 3D (ofcourse with means more cool games :D) why don't you try vesa mode with your current video-card(s) ? Or does that still gives problems for you ? Please don't forget that AROS is being worked on and isn't a finished product. Milage may vary per nightly build. It is also why fe Icaros has a special legacy version.
M
magorium 21-04-2013 14:09, 11 years ago
Re: Max Specs
[quote][b]hean8209 wrote:[/b] ... anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)[/quote] I really love my ram: disk, it's so quiet and fast ;)
Responded in Max Specs
H
hean8209 21-04-2013 08:35, 11 years ago
Since having trouble with all my Nvidia cards on latest Icaros, I am looking into the possibility of using an ATI card instead. Anyone have a suggestion of a good model that can fit what I am looking for: 1. Stability (On par with VESA) 2. 2D performance (3D support is irrelevant to me) 3. Passive cooling Other card suggestions that are quick in VESA are also welcome
H
hean8209 21-04-2013 08:24, 11 years ago
Re: Max Specs
Only time I managed to go Out Of Memory on aros was when I started OWB with only 128MB RAM.. Anything above 512MB is quite enough for everday use, 1GB is what I recommend, 2GB doesnt hurt.. anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)
Responded in Max Specs
C
cavemann 20-04-2013 01:21, 11 years ago
Re: My Aboxes!
@brimars Ahaa... your first post. Welcome to ArosWorld. I am not familiar with that laptop, but it sounds nice. Looking forward to the benchmarks, if you get a chance :)
Responded in My Aboxes!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 139 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 100 posts
ADoom3 benchmarkby retrofaza 39 posts
Development Planby deadwood 32 posts
The Fulcrum Scene Demoby Farox 16 posts
Odyssey Resourceby Amiwell79 15 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 10
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]