Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

General Chat

General Chat
973 posts | Last Activity on 31-01-2015 19:23 by cavemann
C
cavemann 31-01-2015 19:23, 9 years ago
Re: Vote for your favorite AROS game.
Last year, the AROS game list had a bunch of shooters. This year, the games seem to be more about puzzles. Here is a closer look at the choices for the 2014 game of the year. Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast: --------------------------- I haven't played Jedi Academy for a while. I remember I had to raise the stack and and lower the texture setting, so it would run okay on my machine. Imo, this game is much better than last year's shooters. The story helps to give the game character. But using the light saber was awkward for me. I guess I'll never be a jedi. I haven't tried Jedi Outcast yet, but I'll bet it has similar action. So if you like Jedi Academy, consider Jedi Outcast too. Soulride: --------- First, I had to create a folder before unpacking this, there does not seem to be a default directory for the files. After double-clicking on the game, it asked for a file (Mammoth.srt) which is not one of the mountain slopes available. So instead, I had to execute one of the three scripts from the shell. Still the game couldn't find some files. When I checked the directory, the files were there, but had an underline in the name instead of a space. So I had to rename lots of files to get the game to work. I kept crashing my snow board at first, but after awhile I could work my way down the slope and even do some flips. But so far, I still haven't made a complete run. Got only about 16 fps with my gf6250, using the default settings, but it seemed to be smooth enough. TailTale: --------- TailTale is a block positioning game. You have to clear at least four blocks in a row. And more rows of blocks are added as you play. It starts out a little slow, but gets more hectic as you go along. It has a strong Japanese flavor to it. I have no idea what the anime scenes have to do with the game, but they are cool in their own way. I guess I'll have to get farther into the game to find the answer. The game has occasional sound hiccups and I had a freeze-up, so it might be a good idea to raise the stack. MultiRacer: ----------- This game has a sense of humor and does not take itself too seriously. No one would normally think of household vehicles as race cars. Unfortunately I could not give the game a good workout, because I had no one around to try out the 'multi' part of the game. Up to 4 players can race. It seems like it would be a good laugh with a few players, especially when racing through some narrow spaces. Too bad there is no computer opponent or network play. But there is a ghost player so that a single player can try to beat his previous time. The game had a good frame rate, and did not seem to slow down, at least in single player mode. Although the graphics are not spectacular, they are not bad either. Berusky: -------- A maze game, where you have to unblock passages to get the keys to the level exit. First off, I got a stack out of range error. So I had to raise the stack before playing. Then I tried to use fullscreen in native mode, but the game had corrupt graphics. So I tried fullscreen again using Vesa, the graphics were good, but then I had mouse problems, until I changed the game's resolution. But in window mode there were no graphics or mouse issues, it played well and looked very polished. I recommend this one if you are into maze type puzzle games. Xump: ----- This is a puzzle game where you have to clear all the tiles, while moving from one safe area to another, and before you run out of time. The first levels are very simple, but get tough quickly. Sqrz4: ------ Like any of the Sqrz series, quick reflex action is needed to get very far. There are so many ways to die in this jump and run game. Perhaps, someday I'll make it through a level. You can find this game is in the Icaros distro :) VoxelNoid: ---------- I am not a big fan of pixelated graphics, and these voxel games takes pixels to the extreme. Otoh, I am a big fan of retro chip tunes. Wow that sound is nice. This is a 3d-ish variation of the Arkanoid game. After a brick breaks, you can collect the voxel fragments for more power. You have a power flame to help break bricks too. VoxelNoid has commercial quality graphics and sound. Voxel Bird: ----------- This game is similar to the flappy bird game, with very professional graphics and sounds. So all Aros flappy birds should take a peep. Gnat's Tetris Machine: ---------------------- I am happy to see that one of my ports is being considered this year. But to be honest, it doesn't compare well to some of the other contenders. It's not bad for a Tetris Clone, so if you're into Tetris, have a go, it's in the Icaros distro. WhoBecomesAmigaGuru: -------------------- At last a Hollywood program that has the Hollywood libs included. No need to install anything. This game is a mock quiz show that tests your knowledge of Amiga Triva. It would be more interesting to me, if there was some background information that explains the correct answer, when you miss a question. Also, it seems very text oriented, so more Amiga related images would be welcome. And more topics would be cool too. How's your C64 IQ? SpiderCave: ----------- I kept getting error messages at first. It's likely that I did not have Hollywood, or one of its components installed correctly. But finally, somehow it started. The graphics looked ok, but for some reason the keyboard did not work if I chose to see the intro. So I skipped the intro. Now how to play? Move arrows left and right to move your cave ship to a station, or to catch a parachute with supplies. If the station has a red arrow you can build a ladder to the spider web with the space bar. Spiders are dropping things that tear down ladders and can destroy your ship. You can use the up key to protect yourself with a flame. And if your ladder is complete, you can use the 'b' key which shoots a beam that collects the spider eggs. Collect enough eggs and you're off to the next level. SpiderCave is a typical shareware game. Hollywood seems to be inspiring a new crop of coders. If you haven't tried some of these, I hope a game or two seemed interesting to you. Which will be your 2014 game of the year?
C
cavemann 27-01-2015 08:00, 9 years ago
Re: Vote for your favorite AROS game.
It's time to vote for the AROS game of the year, 2014. [url]http://obligement.free.fr/hitparade/award2014.php[/url]
serk118uk
serk118uk 18-12-2014 05:14, 9 years ago
Re: Aros-Exec Down?
[quote] The problem seems solved, at least for now... :)[/quote] ;)
Responded in Aros-Exec Down?
Y
Yanosh 17-12-2014 14:33, 9 years ago
Today Aros-Exec is available again. The problem seems solved, at least for now... :)
M
magorium 16-12-2014 16:25, 9 years ago
And... just as i wrote previous message, aros-exec became accessible for me again :)
M
magorium 16-12-2014 16:01, 9 years ago
Yes, the "Protector"-message seems the same for everyone unfortunately. These things happen either because of some spammer being (really) active or because of scheduled maintenance. Don't despair, eventually things will work out. fwiw: i have been getting these messages a bit longer then yesterday, but since yesterday it was completely impossible to be able to reach the aros-exec forums for me. (cavemann seems to have been very lucky :D ) For the lurkers out there, just hold on tight or in case you are having questions you can always ask them here. arosworld.org has always been a nice backup solution in case of emergencies and there are enough skilled people around like f.i. bszili, paolone and deadwood. Other (AROS support) alternatives are: - amigacoding.de - amigaforum.de or when really desperate you can always ask your questions on the other (well known) amiga boards.
C
cavemann 16-12-2014 15:33, 9 years ago
I managed to log on the Aros-Exec a few hours ago. It was a little weird since I was the only one there. But now I'm getting the BAD_IP message again :@
Y
Yanosh 16-12-2014 15:06, 9 years ago
This topic is old, but since yesterday I can't connect to Aros-Exec. This is the error I get every time I try to connect: You are registered as BAD_IP by Protector. This restriction will be expired on 2014-12-17 06:07:34 I've got this error today... yesterday's expiration day was 2014-12-16 at about 04:30. What's happening?
M
magorium 10-06-2014 07:13, 10 years ago
@BSzili: Good, as it was intended that way :D But seriously, although i fully understand the annoyance of such things i'm always amazed how many people seems bothered about a single tiny website (out of a zillion others out there) not working correctly. @terminills, On hindside, yes you are correct. do _NOT_ clear your cookies if you are able to login and be able post correctly. @paolone2: thanks for the additional (technical) information. I've already talked here and there so am aware (a little). But how to explain such technical matter to the outside as such things alway seem to render the remark: "so then simply fix it" (and i have no idea how technically difficult such thing would be). PS: did you had to make another account because you lost/forgot your old info ? @all: just hang in there. eventually things will work as intended again. Maybe now is a good time to make some time for your other hobbies like sunbathing, collecting stamps or hunt down some bugs in AROS :D And if you can't live without, we're all at your service in case you wanna drop your AROS related questions over here.
AmiDARK
AmiDARK 09-06-2014 16:39, 10 years ago
I encounter this problem too. I cannot post on aros-exec.org. It always send message "your session has expired ....".
T
terminills 09-06-2014 16:13, 10 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=87&pid=480#post_480][b]serk118uk wrote:[/b][/url] Last person to post at ae was terminills. I have cleared the cookies but still same..[/quote] Do not clear your cookies if it's currently working for you. The only machine I can post from has a 3 month old cookie. :\
BSzili
BSzili 09-06-2014 14:45, 10 years ago
That sounded really dirty! :D
M
magorium 07-06-2014 23:40, 10 years ago
Well, at least some info. The powers that be are aware of the issues and are trying to wave their magic wand. So, let's give them a few days to play with their magic stick :D
M
magorium 05-06-2014 11:59, 10 years ago
Ah yes, i saw you 'floating by' :D Thanks for having tried and reporting back. That way people who experience the same issue wouldn't have to try themselves (and i saw many trying already). Although completely speculating on my part, be aware that the ip-ban message we saw earlier this week, could mean admin just opened thing up so we can at least view things again, but that things are still being worked upon. For all i know, only certain people are allowed to post atm (testing) and/or the user-settings have to be (re)set. Since no announcement was made in advance, that could indicate unusual/unexpected maintenance (hence my earlier expressed fear). If anyone has more info, then please feel free to enlighten the troubled minds ;)
serk118uk
serk118uk 05-06-2014 11:41, 10 years ago
Last person to post at ae was terminills. I have cleared the cookies but still same..
M
magorium 05-06-2014 09:41, 10 years ago
@serk The issue as reported by you, seems to be confirmed on the developers ML. Someone responded with having experienced something similar in the past, which could be 'solved' by clearing cookies. Alas, i can clear all i want but unfortunately, no joy for me as i am still completely unable to log in :( It seems we have to have some patience. Although, my fear is something more seriously (wrong) is happening atm. Only time can tell. @all For the ones not being able to live without these kinda forums, please feel free to discuss things on this board. we don't bite (so hard) :P Alternatively you could also try OlafS3's board [url=http://www.amigacoding.de/]here[/url].
M
magorium 04-06-2014 12:20, 10 years ago
fwiw: i was already having problems (the last couple of days) logging in, but am now unable to. Everything seems accepted, but the board simply don't display the logged in page (and also does not tell that something went wrong). Curious matters :| Thanks for reporting Serk :thumbsup: as you certainly would not be the only one (perhaps also explaining the lack of posts the last 2/3 days).
serk118uk
serk118uk 04-06-2014 06:48, 10 years ago
Something must gone wrong, I can not reply to any of post at aros-exec since yesterday...
M
magorium 29-05-2014 14:16, 10 years ago
fwiw: for those trying to reach aros-exec and get a ip-ban message... no, there is nothing wrong with your specific ip-address, it seems everyone is experiencing the same. Unfortunately i don't have any further info atm. Simply hold on tight, and try again in a couple of hours/days.. patience is virtue :)
M
magorium 26-05-2014 16:25, 10 years ago
Same for me amigamia. Site was down whole of yesterday and started working again for me today. sometimes indeed pretty slow or unable to login. Yesterday arosworld was out for me for a small period of time as well. (and right now i am having problems posting this message: unable to establish connection to sql... blah). Computer-technology: a small wonder in itself (at least when it works) :D
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

Icon Toolsby miker1264 177 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 159 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 70 posts
Custom Keyboard Layoutby MasterTggtt 14 posts
r-teaby r-tea 7 posts
AROS One 68k Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 6 posts
Wanderer Menusby pixie 4 posts
Rufus 3.x and Rufus 4.x.by AMIGASYSTEM 3 posts
AROS Can Do IT videoby mattson62 1 post
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 228
Newest Member: r-tea
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]