Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

General Chat

General Chat
870 posts | Last Activity on 04-09-2013 11:18 by MasterTggtt
M
MasterTggtt 04-09-2013 11:18, 11 years ago
Re: AROS as the best OS
Hello, I hope you are openminded enough and read this post without misunderstanding me. I believe that currently AROS isn't the best OS but has the chance to become the best. What do you think it's missing? My opinion: It's fast, looks good and is not resource hungry. I feel that computers are going to be more and more tied to batteries, and the AROS qualities could be a great advantage. Since interpreted languages are getting more and more common than natively compiled, the current memory protection drawback may not be important in the future.
Responded in AROS as the best OS
M
magorium 16-05-2013 17:45, 11 years ago
Re: OWB, yahoo attachments and dropbox file upload
[quote]Silly me, I was looking in Sys:C[/quote] Happens to the best of us ;) It could have been that you didn't select to install the development stuff during installation. Just in case, if you remember or search a command that you know then just type "which commandname", and the shell returns the location(s) where it find such commandname. [quote]I'm getting old. Thanks![/quote] Hmz... i _am_ already old O-o :D But you're more than welcome. Happy checksumming :)
emeck
emeck 16-05-2013 07:05, 11 years ago
Silly me, I was looking in Sys:C I'm getting old. Thanks!
M
magorium 15-05-2013 15:37, 11 years ago
[quote]BTW, do you know what is available in AROS to generate and check checksums, md5 or any other?[/quote] afaik the coreutils are in place, so that means cksum, sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, sha512sum and md5sum should be available. Don't any of them work for you ?
emeck
emeck 12-05-2013 04:38, 11 years ago
@magorium I did an md5 checksum and it was ok. Dropbox seems to be working, just that the messages seem to be confused. The files tested were small 200k or less. I tried also with Google Drive but that is as for yahoo mail attactments, the upload stays at 0% all the time (at least for several minutes, enough to have uploaded 2 or 3 times to dropbox). So the good news is that Dropbox seems to work with OWB B) Edit: BTW, do you know what is available in AROS to generate and check checksums, md5 or any other?
M
magorium 12-05-2013 04:15, 11 years ago
Hi emeck, Just a friendly word of warning. You mention the upload being present. But please do not assume anything. Doing a search for this error revealed that it is something like you are uploading, but during the upload something went wrong. Therefor the server send back a command to the browser to _resent_ the data from a given point (rewind). If one (or both) of those two fails (resent and/or rewind) then you are presented by the error you mentioned. That also means that the data being uploaded is most probably damaged. If possible, check the filechecksum to make sure the uploaded file is allright. Although it might seem an OWB error, it is most likely a network or server issue. You could try another (upload) service to check if the issue is specific to dropbox and/or OWB. Maybe you could try using wget or curl to upload your file to dropbox ?
emeck
emeck 12-05-2013 03:59, 11 years ago
Hi, i wanted to send a couple of small files as attachments through Yahoo mail but files seems to never end to be uploaded to yahoo (or even to start to be uploaded). So I tried with Dropbox which but with strange behaviour: After clicking the Upload button in Dropbox and selecting the file to upload, the uploading notification box appears (it seems to open in a new transparent tab): Uploading to 'Public' Uploading filename.ext and the arrow is circling which indicates it is uploading. After a while a message window appears: OWB Error Unable to open 'https://dl-web.dropbox.com/upload'. Error 65: Send failed since rewinding of the data stream failed. I click OK button, then the dropbox "notification" box stays there as if still uploading so I have to quit dropbox. But the file has been succesfully uploaded, and I can download them with the dropbox client in my other machines. Maybe these two strange behaviours are related and can be fixed or improved? I'm using OWB from Icaros 1.5.2
M
magorium 04-04-2013 07:01, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: Finder and HFinder!
Thank you for the extensive information Rebraist, tbh, i always use Dopus' hunt and search command as i am not a wizard in shell myself. But those two utilities are indeed very nice to use. Now... is there a utility that can search for that single tiny tool that i can't find _and_ of which i can't remember it's name ? ;)
rebraist
rebraist 02-04-2013 16:30, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: Finder and HFinder!
Let's talk about searching! Surely you all have tried to find something you don't remember where it is! And when you're thinking that cursing the entire universe because of this is a good thing (and you're sure that if you'd not looking for it, it would be in front of your eyes) let's suppose that you were searching a file. First times I used Aros after ten years of non amiga using, well, I've to admit it wasn't that easy to remember where things were. Then i discovered two little progs in the archives that let you search files, directories and even those little red and white socks you... forgive me! BLACK and WHITE socks. A serious man should never wear red and white socks! Ok! Let's go! A little introduction for non amigans: Amiga uses, like many Oses, wildcards (or jolly chars). You can find a complete description of them in any of the websites about Amiga Dos but just say that #? is equal to * (? substitutes a single character. I.E. A? is equal to AA, AB, AC but not ABC. If I want to substitute more than a single character I use #? because # stands for "any number of", so #? is "any number of character". We can say that foo*.* can be written as foo#?.#?. Ok? Now go to the programs! Finder and HFinder, both let you search for file, but let's look them in a deeper way! 1) FINDER V3.1 Written by Chris Jones and ported to Aros by Mattias Rustler, Finder lets you, in a few clicks, search for files. Choose the drawer (or disk) you want to search in, then enter filename (or the pattern to search for it), click find and you're done. You can choose to choose for case sensitive and recursive options. The latter is needed to search in nested drawers. If finder finds what you want, loads a list with all files found. Then lets you save or print the list. 2) HFINDER Written by Fabio Falcucci with Hollywood language (you'll immediately notice this by the more polished look), has a bit different approach. It gives you a prewritten wildcard and path (this makes your life easier). Then you can change the default path or file name. Finally you click on search and you'll find what you're looking for. Hfinder, as Finder3.1 has a recursive search option, but it acts as a little file manager letting you select, copy, move and delete multiple files. Hfinder has a prefences window too, where you can change the language and decide to remember last path or pattern. What to choose? Let's say both of them don't look for "drawers". If you're looking for a drawer, nor finder nor hfinder, will give you it as a result. Don't expect it'd act as the windows search tool: you cant' double click a file and launch it. But both of them have good arrows: finder lets you save the list to look for it later and search only for case sensitive matches, hfinder hasn't save or case sensitive options, but lets you copy, move or delete files. Both easy and fast, both use wildcards. What to choose I ask again? In a basic way they're equivalent. If you want something more complete (but not complex) you'd go for hfinder, if you need to save your results, well the choice is finder 3.1. Both Finder and HFinder come with Icaros, but you can find them in the archives.
C
cavemann 29-03-2013 14:34, 11 years ago
Re: Volume control
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=57&pid=307#post_307][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] afaik no arexx is supported in any of current programs. So neither for interacting with volume control :( [/quote] Oh, I did not realize Arexx was in a sad state. [quote] So... play command is still unable to work ? is that what you are telling ? Reason i ask is because i needed to use it when mrdarek got his problem (remember ?) and it played certain wav-files.[/quote] Now that you mention it, yes it worked not long ago. [quote] For the rest we 'simply' need the additional datatypes in order to let them be played by the play command. [/quote] Yep, very [i]simple[/i] ;) [quote] But i am still not sure about the non working play command. I'm a bit short in time but i was already planning for a playDT command for sounds, so i'm gonna shed my light over it.[/quote] Good to hear :) [quote] Always be carefull hitting, sooner or later you might miss and end up with a sore thumb :D[/quote] Ok I'll take care [img]http://aros-exec.org/uploads/smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif[/img]
Responded in Volume control
M
magorium 28-03-2013 09:25, 11 years ago
Ah yes cavemann. afaik no arexx is supported in any of current programs. So neither for interacting with volume control :( It could very well be that that link i provided is not representative for current datatypes, as the link is abiv1 related. I would have to dive into v0 sources to get a clear view on that. It was not so important for me. So... play command is still unable to work ? is that what you are telling ? Reason i ask is because i needed to use it when mrdarek got his problem (remember ?) and it played certain wav-files. Regarding the sound datatype: yes i know that it is the root class for the sounds, but at the same time i suspect(ed) some additions were added to make things lazy enough (as aiff is almost the same as iff) :D For the rest we 'simply' need the additional datatypes in order to let them be played by the play command. But i am still not sure about the non working play command. I'm a bit short in time but i was already planning for a playDT command for sounds, so i'm gonna shed my light over it. Always be carefull hitting, sooner or later you might miss and end up with a sore thumb :D But seriously, you perfectly explained how things are suppose to work. So thank you for that, and the additional info you posted and linked to.
C
cavemann 28-03-2013 05:14, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=57&pid=300#post_300][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] Here is were it becomes a little adventurous :D If i take a good look at the [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/tree/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/sound]sound.datatype[/url] i can see an header [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/blob/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/sound/aiff.h]here[/url] that has aiff definitions. But i am unsure as of why they are there exactly... [/quote] [url=http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Includes_and_Autodocs_3._guide/node0565.html]The sound.datatype is the root data type for sounds.[/url] It contains the methods that are used to interact with all sound files. Which makes sense, there is no need have these generic functions repeated in every sound datatype subclass. It looks like the voiceheader which you linked to is used by the internal methods of the sound.datatype. Maybe because some Aiff formats are used on AROS by Audio Evolution 4 (which is on Icaros). Enough hammering...my thumb is sore!
C
cavemann 27-03-2013 11:46, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=57&pid=298#post_298][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] BTW: it does not explain why it does not play/support all wav format type files though. But if you stick to the list that is written [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/wav/wave_dt.readme]here[/url], then the play command should be able to put some pedal to the metal :)[/quote] I agree, the play command is still not working properly. Wave and 8svx files have datatypes and should play. I don't think the AROS datatype is the same version as the datatype in your link because au files won't play. But that doesn't count for much since c:play is not working. Edit: deleted some stupid text here. Another mystery that still remains is the issue of the Arexx Volume mute script that returns zero (meaning that it had no errors) yet it does not mute AHI.
M
magorium 27-03-2013 02:01, 11 years ago
@emeck Here is were it becomes a little adventurous :D If i take a good look at the [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/tree/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/sound]sound.datatype[/url] i can see an header [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/blob/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/sound/aiff.h]here[/url] that has aiff definitions. But i am unsure as of why they are there exactly... True is that there does not seem to be a aiff.datatype, so might explain things. On the other hand it could also mean aiff is integrated in sound datatype by default (in which case i don't know which aiff format is supported) but maybe someone can hit that nail again, or should we perhaps go for the hypersonic hydrolic powerdrill ? :)
emeck
emeck 27-03-2013 01:45, 11 years ago
@cavemann @magorium 3 clueless guys trying to hit nails... Doesn't sound like a good idea :o Anyway, this are the files in the Devs/Datatypes drawer in my AOS3.5 installation: JPEG.info JPEG ILBM.info ILBM GIF.info GIF FTXT.info FTXT CDXL.info CDXL ANIM.info ANIM AmigaGuide.info AmigaGuide AIFF.info AIFF 8SVX.info 8SVX icon Icon.info And this are in Classes/Datatypes: text.datatype sound.datatype jpeg.datatype ilbm.datatype gif.datatype cdxl.datatype ascii.datatype animation.datatype anim.datatype amigaguide.datatype picture.datatype.cgfx aiff.datatype 8svx.datatype picture.datatype icon.datatype So, if AROS works like AOS3.x maybe aiff.datatype file has to be in Classes/Datatypes for it to work?
M
magorium 27-03-2013 01:32, 11 years ago
Well, i believe you hit the nail exactly on top of its head and hammered it with such a force that the nail and its head disappeared into the earth's core to be vaporized and never to been seen again :D But please be aware that i still do not have a clue ;) BTW: it does not explain why it does not play/support all wav format type files though. But if you stick to the list that is written [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/wav/wave_dt.readme]here[/url], then the play command should be able to put some pedal to the metal :)
C
cavemann 27-03-2013 01:20, 11 years ago
Aha! Thanks for the info. Apparently I've been only looking at the iceberg peeking above the water. So, Devs/datatypes only contains the file structure so the system can identify what type of file it is. Classes/datatypes are the public filters that can be used by any application. The datatype structures that do not have public classes most likely have private classes embedded in applications. Does that make sense?
M
magorium 26-03-2013 23:30, 11 years ago
Let me be clear here: i have no clue as of how things work. So i'm just spilling what comes to mind :) According to [url=http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Includes_and_Autodocs_3._guide/node0106.html]datatype library[/url] it states: [quote]The datatypes.library provides transparent data handling abilities to applications. Application developers can register their data format with datatypes.library [u][b]and[/b] provide a class library for handling their data[/u] within other applications.[/quote] I believe _those_ can be found in sys:classes/datatypes Now, you could think perhaps that sound.datatype does this automagically for all supported sound-formats. But be honest, do you see a ogg vorbis decoder in those 49kb ? Not to mention xm, s3m, mp3, flac etc etc. We do see a wave.datatype there, so what on earth would [url=http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/tree/HEAD:/workbench/classes/datatypes/wav]that[/url] thing do ? So let's ask emec if there are perhaps some datatype classes that are available on AOS 3.5 and are not present in AROS.
C
cavemann 26-03-2013 22:32, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=57&pid=294#post_294][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] pardon the intrusion. aiff comes in various [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format]formats[/url] (please note the various compressions) so a specifc aiff file might or might not be supported. Unfortunately i lack the knowledge of the details atm. As for Ogg. Do we have even a datatype for it ? I couldn't find it, but i'm always walking behind the facts :)[/quote] What intrusion? Don't be silly, this is your place, you have helped keep this site alive. The ogg datatype is in Devs/datatypes. Is that not the correct place to check? Is there more to it? And yes, there are different Aiff types (endian order too I think), but I could not find any Aiff file that would play, even though some of the files had an AROS datatype icon on it. Emeck pointed out that the files he tried work in AmigaOS 3.5, then logically ;) they should work in AROS. Also, ogg vorbis is a popular (in games) open source format, so imo AROS utilities should play ogg files too.
M
magorium 26-03-2013 21:45, 11 years ago
pardon the intrusion. aiff comes in various [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format]formats[/url] (please note the various compressions) so a specifc aiff file might or might not be supported. Unfortunately i lack the knowledge of the details atm. As for Ogg. Do we have even a datatype for it ? I couldn't find it, but i'm always walking behind the facts :)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 102 posts
ADoom3 benchmarkby retrofaza 39 posts
Development Planby deadwood 32 posts
The Fulcrum Scene Demoby Farox 16 posts
Odyssey Resourceby Amiwell79 15 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 2
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]